Mark III green stripe settings - help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UsrName

Reaction score
Ok, I just picked up a later model blue stripe combo and was wondering if anyone could help me out with some settings. I would like to set it up for a nice "fendery" clean, if possible, on rh1 and a good thrash metal tone, (Metallica MOP, Megadeth RIP albums for reference), on the lead channel. I only plan on using the two channels, so I would like to know what the best way is to set the tone controls for good balance between the two.

I think I have the GEQ part of it down, as I use to own a MkIV. But it's been awhile and it had separate channels, so I didn't have this problem. I'll be using it through a Recto 2x12 cab w/ V30s. Here's the specs of my amp:

blue stripe
simul-class
GEQ
EVM
6l6/el34

Thanks in advance for the help!

Here are mine. I can get anything from Fendery cleans to Slashtone to MOP/JP and beyond, just by tapping the footswitches. No knob turning whatsoever :twisted:
front.php

Cool! I thought it would be tough to set all 3 channels without sacrificing tone somewhere. This gives me some hope of throwing rh2 in there as well!

The manual. Settings are on pages 9 & 10. :D
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

Here's the settings I just used to record my new single. I like them ALOT. However the GEQ may vary a little as I use an MXR in the loop, but the basic shape is the same:

front.php

Here is the MXR settings I used:

secretsettings.jpg

These settings bring home the bacon...for sure. Having the R2 mod also helps, I almost never touch my settings except to vary Master volume, gain or treble based on venue and tube changes.

... And here's your very own official Mark III Settings Tool:
http://www.chain-metal.nl/mark3/?bg=0&d1=85&d2=70&d3=20&p3=1&d4=70&d5=20&d6=50&d7=50&p=0&g1=50&g2=50&g3=50&g4=50&g5=50&t=Starting+Point
Enjoy! :D

Awesome, thanks for the replies! I'll try 'em out and see what happens. If I'm not totally happy, I may consider the R2 mod or like someone else suggested, another eq in the loop. Anyone else? Keep 'em comin'!

gts said:
Subject: Mark III Settings Sheet and Footswitch Diagram (IIC too)

gts said:
Thought these might be helpful to some:

They are scanned originals (different than what Mesa currently has on their website).

On the Settings Sheet notice there are different suggested settings based on whether you are using Humbuckers or Single Coil Pick-ups.
The one currently on the Mesa site has no different setting for HB or SC pups.

Cool! These should come in handy!

MrMarkIII said:
The manual. Settings are on pages 9 & 10. :D
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark%20III.pdf

Thanks, got the manual. But I was interested in what worked for actual users over the years.

i spent about 2 hours one evening printing EVERY setting in this site. the result was pretty all over the board - literally, since speakers and guitars are not accounted for in the settings. so ... what i did was start with the "MESA" settings as listed above - grab a guitar - and make some notes. adjusted to my taste. then grabbed another guitar.

i found that my strats sounded close enough even though one has vintage Noiseless and the other RWB Lace Sensors that i could settle on a setting or two to satisfy my requirements. my 335 and LP need some bigger adjustments. good luck and let us know what you 'settle' on and what your guitar and music style is.

i know a lot of y'all love the MK III for the brutal ... i get people talking about my JAZZ tone. i think it really is the most versatile amp ... of course i never made it to Mk IV territory.

For sure, I love my jazz tone from my III! Especially with my PRS (even though it's just a korean, it was even more supreme with a Gibson!) The metal tone and lead is always there, it's just an adjust to taste and style thing...

As you pointed out, speakers play such a huge role in defining the final tone too (and your tubes).

I'm curious to if the OP has found some good settings? :?:

SonicProvocateur said:
For sure, I love my jazz tone from my III! Especially with my PRS (even though it's just a korean, it was even more supreme with a Gibson!) The metal tone and lead is always there, it's just an adjust to taste and style thing...

As you pointed out, speakers play such a huge role in defining the final tone too (and your tubes).

The Mark III for straight up JAZZ tones is where it's at, and most definitely great with both my PRS as well. I also have a Gretsch hollowbody I like to use with my III's for the ole Chet Atkins or Wes Montgomery finger style. Such sweet smooth mellow tones with that hint of 'verb. These amps are extremely versatile..jazz,metal,r&b,blues,country..it's there. It's up to the player to work the magic in the box. Also, as mentioned above, it boils right down to everything..speakers,tubes,pickups,etc... and more importantly, the feeling the player makes out of it.

~Nep~

I'm using a Recto 2x12 cab with V30s and a PRS with HFS/Bass pups. I haven't had a chance to sit and spend time with it, although I did take it to practice the other night and was up an running after about 10 minutes of adjusting. The most noticeable change came when I pulled the deep switch out! :shock:

I also found that when I had the classic V on the eq, I kind of got lost in the mix, so I had to raise the middle slider up a bit. As soon as I get a chance to spend some quality time with it, I'll post my settings using the app thingy.

BTW, I found out this is actually a green stripe.

As someone pointed out once "the more tuned your ears become, the 750 slider starts coming up more!"

Make good use of the shift and bright pulls too for fine tuning. Pull Deep = t3h whoa :shock:

mark3

I use these through a trad.recto cab with v30s.
A couple notes, I often tweak my tone just for fun, but too much mids never works well with this amp and metal imo. The highest ill bring them is half way, but most the time it resides a little lower. It has enough mids, believe me :)

UsrName"Thanks said:
Actually, the tones that come in the manual are VERY useable, sometimes the best tones you can get out of the amp. Of course, you can tweak to your taste, as the Mark III is a very tweakable amp with all it's push-pull pots and touch sensitive controls. Remember that it also responds differently to the tubes you put in it. I have a Mesa Russian II (Sovtek) 12AX7 in V1, and a NOS Mullard Long Plate ECC83 in V3, and it suits me well. Also, if you find the amp to be too fizzy, try playing with different cabs and speakers. The EVM12L, although a great speaker, is not good in a combo setting, esp. with the bright nature of the MIII.

Latest posts

Back