Mark III Black stripe in need of service

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No they are not related.

It could be simply that you put in lower gain preamp tubes.

It doesn't take much gain in the early stages, but I have really noticed a difference between different tubes.

You could have 2 tubes from the same manufacturer, with the same date code on them and they would differ in gain characteristics.

That's how guys like Doug's Tubes & Eurotubes make their money. They can test them and group them together based on gain and current draw.

If you look at your tube chart in your manual, or your schematics, it should show you which tube or tubes are for the added gain stages of the Lead channel. You could try substituting different tubes in this spot to see what happens.

V1 should have the most impact on how your Lead channel sounds, but it will also drastically affect the Clean channel too. I usually try to find the best clean tone and then experiment with the other tubes for my lead tones.

So, did you take your amp to a tech? It sounded like it was broken. They probably found a couple of dead/blown components and probably did a cap job. It probably sounds awesome now.

I'd love an update!

Chip

Sounds like a problem mine had, it would not go into the lead channel, was stuck on the R2, it was a bad LDR(S). Got those changed out and WHAMMO! Back in business.

I did take it to a tech. There was nothing wrong with it other than having dirty jacks. He pretty much opened it and cleaned the inside as well as the jacks. My baby sounds great now.

Awesome! Your settings look almost identical to mine (except I run my mids at 6, lead master at 8 and mine is non-GEQ, so I run my EQ in the loop with the "V"). Should be gain city!

Latest posts

Back