Mark IIc+ speaker swaps?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deaconschwaz

Reaction score
I'm starting to get some unfriendly crackle out of my amp, and I have a feeling it's the speaker. I've got the original Black Shadow in there and am interested if anyone has swapped that out for anything else, and what your experience was. What kind of changes did you notice with the new speakers? More open high end? Less prominent bottom? In my semi-regular gig I have access to a Verellen smoke/hammer going into a 4 x 12 cab so I have plenty of oomph when running through that, and might want to get a more vintage tone out of the Boogie. Any insight is appreciated!

The black shadow could be EV, Celestion or eminence. They all sound different. Have you tried the amp through a different speaker cabinet at sufficient levels to determine if in fact it is the speaker?

Markedman said:
The black shadow could be EV, Celestion or eminence. They all sound different. Have you tried the amp through a different speaker cabinet at sufficient levels to determine if in fact it is the speaker?

It's the 200 watt EV, and no I haven't had a chance to A/B it yet. My cab is about 25 miles away right now, it's a cruddy silverface fender, but it's an alternative in case I have blown the speaker. I'd definitely verify this before I pulled the old one out.

Back