Mark IIC+ -retubing

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpepiman

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My Mark IIC+ needs to be retubed. I heard JJs were good so I'm going with that. On the Eurotubes website they have tube packages for the Mark III but not the Mark II. Can I buy a Mark III tube set?

My amp is a 1984 Mark IIc+ with Simul-class, EQ, reverb, the works.

Will one of these work for my amp?

"Mesa Mark III Simulclass High Gain Retube Kit with 6L6's
Price: 110.00
Description: A quad of JJ 6L6GC's for a deeper tone from the power section. For the front end three hand picked high gain JJ ECC83S's for V1, V2, and V3, a standard ECC83S for V4 and a balanced ECC83S for V5. Looking for the Petrucci tone?"

"
Mesa Mark III Simulclass Full Retube Kit with 6L6's
Price: 101.00
Description: A matched quad of JJ 6L6GC's for a deep fat sound along with five JJ ECC83S's with one balanced for the phase inverter in V5. Very fat, full & smooth."

Will either one of these sets work for my amp. It seems right.

Thanks a ton!

I just retubed my MkIIb with JJ's form EuroTubes. You need to call them and tell them what version and config of the MkII (A,B or C: 60watts, no reverb for me). They made alot of variations (60watt, 100/60 watt, Simul etc...)

I love my new tubes, I had the 6L6's graded from early break up, so I could get a some output tube grind. They know thier stuff.

The call is well worth it.

Seems to me your loosing some of what makes the MKIIC+ special by not using the 6l6/el34 mix. I was playing mine tonight at marveling how good it sounds.

What!?!?!!?

I thought the IIC+ was usually used with all 6L6s?!?!?!

Damnit I already ordered the set with all 6L6s anyway.

I know you already ordered but when using 4 6L6 the two outer tubes must be cool running 6L6s. If you call or email Bob and tell him that they're for a IIC+ he'll know what to do.

I've tried JJ 4 6L6, 2 6L6/2EL34, and 2 6L6/2E34L in my IIC+ simul head. I've found that to my ears, the 6L6/E34Lcombination has the magic and the best of all worlds. I also love the JJ high gain preamp kit.

zosojjc said:
I know you already ordered but when using 4 6L6 the two outer tubes must be cool running 6L6s. If you call or email Bob and tell him that they're for a IIC+ he'll know what to do.

I've tried JJ 4 6L6, 2 6L6/2EL34, and 2 6L6/2E34L in my IIC+ simul head. I've found that to my ears, the 6L6/E34Lcombination has the magic and the best of all worlds. I also love the JJ high gain preamp kit.
What do you mean by "cool running".

It's too late now, they shipped out to me Monday. I can always try the el34/6l6 combo some other time.

I ordered the 4 6l6 set with the high gain preamp set.

I've had some IIC+'s that sound best w/ ALL 6L6's and some that sound good w/ the 34 mix. Try them both. Plenty of threads to research on this site....

alpepiman said:
zosojjc said:

What do you mean by "cool running".

It's too late now, they shipped out to me Monday. I can always try the el34/6l6 combo some other time.

I ordered the 4 6l6 set with the high gain preamp set.

Your Mark 2C+ should be a simulclass amp.this means that 2 tube sockets are wired class A/B operation and two sockets are more or less wired Class A operation.

So if you were to take four 6l6 tubes that were al equal in output, the ones in the class A sockets wouldrun hotter. This is because more voltage is being supplied through the class A sockets (the two outer sockets )

So with this amp, you must choose your tubes carefully.Sometimes you can simply use a medium grade of 6l6 in all 4 sockets and it will be okay. SOmetimes a hot grade of 6l6 in the inner sockets adn a cooler grade in the outer sockets will be ok

And in the simulclass amp, you can also run El34 or KT77 in the hotter class A sockets and 6l6 in the inner sockets.

To nail the perfect grade, you can be aware of the markings on the box of tubes Bob sends you and have a good technician test the bias on your amp. you can relay the results to Bob and tailor any new sets of tubes from there on.

Speaking of gain, what is the hottest brand of tubes you can get, for massive scooped metal sound, as bad as it gets?

I am going to retube my simul class C+ as well.
Right now my 60w non eq C+ sound a lot more metal than the SC.

The 60w is equipped with TAD 12AX7-A (tube amp doctor) at V1 and V4
And General electric 7025 at V2 & V3 this amp have no reverb and have only four 12AX7 tubes in its preamp section.
I also have the TAD 6L6WGC-STR in its power section and it sounds delicious, and very powerful, using the Boss GEQ-7 eq, which I think sounds better than the original one.

Any comments is appreciated.

Kind regards
Tony

I really liked the TAD 6L6 STR's in my Mark IIB Boogie also.
As close to 7581A's as anything else I've tried.

Latest posts

Back