Mark IIC owner (introduction)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thelordofcheesecake

Reaction score
Hallo chaps,

Just become the proud owner of a Mark IIC combo (koa hardwood, basketweave grill, simul-class/Class A switch, reverb, and slidey EQs) and thought this might be the place to stop by.

It's a very sweet tone, one that I'm very glad that I now have access to. Glad to join the club. I hope to have it modded to C+ status at some point, but currently (as a UK dweller) I can't really afford to ship it the US for modifications.

One question with the overdrive - does it tend to get a little muddy for anyone else? I find it hard to retain the clarity on the Lead channel. I think I need to have the valves changed and the amp serviced, and also need to find some decent settings to use with it.

I also own a THD Flexi 50 and, by splitting the signal, running both simultaneously produces an absolutely HUGE fat, but still clear tone by utilising each amp's basic characteristics - the Mark's round warm tone, and the Flexi's sharper and more mid-rangey/trebly tone. Love it, love it, love it.

Anyway, if you guys could be kind enough to point me to any threads with decent settings to trial (or post them here if you'd be so kind), that'd be really great.

I actually had a couple of questions - the simul-class/Class A modes... what are the basic differences, and when is it best to use one or the other? Again, the muddiness issue - is that an old valves/wiring issue, a settings problem, or something that's inherent to the amp when it's driven on higher gain sounds?

Thanks a lot,
Tom

With simulclass, you're looking at headroom issues and also potentially utilizing the EL34's characteristics as well as the 6L6's in the inner sockets.

JDGuitaristT said:
What cabinet are you running it through, and what speakers are loaded?

Oh, it's the 1x12 combo - although I've run it through a THD 2x12 (which is stock). I'm not sure what the speaker in the combo is, I'll check tomorrow - it's tucked up in it's flight case for the night.

Thanks for the response, by the way.

I'll also give you my current settings (I'm still tweaking). Keep in mind that this is my LEAD settings. I always have to roll back the Vol1, Mast.1 to keep the RHYTHM volumes bearable.

PRESENCE: 4
VOL1: 8 PULLED
TREBLE: 7 PULLED
BASS: 1
MID: 5
MAST1: 5
LEAD DR: 5-6
LEAD MASTER: 2-3
REVERB: TO TASTE

GRAPHIC EQ: 80 boosted, 240 neutral, 750 cut to just above the 3rd line, 2200 boosted, 6600 just barely boosted.

Boogiebabies said:
If the bass is over 2 it's flabby as could be. Try treble 7, bass 2, mids 5 and presence 3-5. Now, remember its a IIC, not a +. It is a very different animal.

My bass is at 2, still hearing the flab. I tried dipping it below that and it still lacked clarity. I'm about to order a set of valves from eurotubes.com to see if this helps.

Thanks again JD, I'll try those settings tomorrow.

Boogiebabies said:
The reverb is very tasty, thanks.
Actually, mine just died. Now, I have to either order another tank or rely on delay for my ambience. Would you recommend buying from Mesa? They charge, what, $60.

thelordofcheesecake said:
Boogiebabies said:
If the bass is over 2 it's flabby as could be. Try treble 7, bass 2, mids 5 and presence 3-5. Now, remember its a IIC, not a +. It is a very different animal.

My bass is at 2, still hearing the flab. I tried dipping it below that and it still lacked clarity. I'm about to order a set of valves from eurotubes.com to see if this helps.

Thanks again JD, I'll try those settings tomorrow.

Also, I tried using the presence control on the back and upping the treble in every place I could - still muddy. This sounds like there's something not quite right with the amp, rather than this being the natural voicing of the Mark, yes?

Boogiebabies said:
JDGuitaristT said:
Boogiebabies said:
The reverb is very tasty, thanks.
Actually, mine just died. Now, I have to either order another tank or rely on delay for my ambience. Would you recommend buying from Mesa? They charge, what, $60.

9AB2A1B.

$ 24.95 FROM WWW.TUBESANDMORE.COM
Thanks. I just ordered it. :)

Latest posts

Back