Mark IIC just as good as a C+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mystidream

Reaction score
I'm just curious if anyone knows if the Mark IIC with the EQ is just as good as a IIC+ with the EQ? Can the Mark IIC get as heavy as the IIC+? Also, what are the major differences? Thanks a bunch.

Personally I feel that there is much more gain on the IIc+. Also the IIc was very trebly. I think it was because of some bad tubes but anyways, it also depends on the transformer. I have a IIC modded to IIc+ and it has monstrous gain now. I have single coils and I run my gain around 6. I don't know much about that but I am sure others will Chime in.

-Ryan

Never heard or played a regular 2c, but from everything I've read, it's not as good as the C+. The C+ is an amp that only gets built once in a lifetime. You won't see an amp like it for many years.

In basic form though, the C+ has a better effects loop and more creamier gain.

Elpelotero said:
Never heard or played a regular 2c, but from everything I've read, it's not as good as the C+. The C+ is an amp that only gets built once in a lifetime. You won't see an amp like it for many years.

In basic form though, the C+ has a better effects loop and more creamier gain.

Thanks.

I've played both and own a C+ and they are just so different in tone because the eq on the + is a lot more sensitive. Hope that helps a bit. :?

The C+ definitely has higher and richer gain, and I think it's a bit brighter too. The C has a wonderful 80's growl all its own, but it's definitely not a C+. I actually installed some NOS pre-amp tubes (12ax7 and 12at7) to tame the gain on the C+ more to my liking. By the way, both my C and C+ have export transformers, with the C+ being an upgraded IIA.

I'm pretty sure from what I've read on this board that mod is no longer available. If it was I'm pretty sure Mike B would have asked if I wanted to go in that direction when I had it out at Mesa to be cleaned up. Unless of course he felt the Mark IIA was superior than the C+ and hence would never make that mod himself. LOL (':D')

carlosasi said:
I'm pretty sure from what I've read on this board that mod is no longer available. If it was I'm pretty sure Mike B would have asked if I wanted to go in that direction when I had it out at Mesa to be cleaned up. Unless of course he felt the Mark IIA was superior than the C+ and hence would never make that mod himself. LOL (':D')

Yes, that mod is no longer available. The required pc boards are no longer available. I asked Mike that back in February. He can still upgrade C's to C+'s.

Mike will do any mod if the money is right. We actually talked about the ++ mod to the C+. It actually exists. Only done for a handful. He did it for metallica for sure..but I quote "whether or not is was used on some of the classics, that's metallica's secret, but they at least had the option". He stressed that they paid top dollar for it too..and basically gave me the impression that I probably couldn't afford his time. LOL. He also said that, when you get something like that done..it kind of ruins the amp, as there is no clean channel really left. Except for a maybe a "honky" kind of tone.

I haven't heard a real IIC in person, but from what I understand they are supposed to be just as sweet. Oh yeah..stop modding the IICs to C+s. There is only 1000 of them as it is. (making it the rarest of the MK, I think). And you know that more than half of them have been changed to the +. Leaving a mere 500 or so originals left. The truth is..find yourself a mark that sounds good to you. If you are not buying a C+ as a collector (have a back up amp to gig with), then don't waste your time and money looking. Get a MarkIV. It does everything and more what the C+ but smoother. And in my opinion..the IV is the closest thing to the C+. Only reason I can tell is because I own an original C+. But if you sit down with IV long enough you WILL NOT be disappointed with the sound..and more importantly. FINACIALLY!!!!!

That's pretty interesting to hear Mike's thoughts on the Metallica mod. And the whole "top dollar" thing as well.

The puppets album clean sound is all C+ though...So, that could answer how they exercised the use of the mod. Or maybe they used one C+ for clean and one for dirty.

Oh lord, not the C+ plus mod again... :(

I seriously like Mike, but I think his want-to-be disciples stir the pot and get the forums into a tizzy as well as snitch on anyone who gets close to the Book of Secrets.

I would not touch that subject with a biohazard suit on around here.

It does kill the clean channel though.:wink:

Boogiebabies said:
Oh lord, not the C+ plus mod again... :(

I seem to remember the last whirlwind about the "++" mod. :( It got pretty ugly indeed. If this mod kills the clean channel, it would be pointless to get it done. If you want more tone shaping, get an outboard EQ, or a pedal of some sort. That way when it's all said and done, and you want to hear some of the real TONE in your guitar, you haven't painted yourself into a heavy metal corner. :twisted: All this coming from a guy who picked up the electric guitar in the very early '80s, before MTV and the glam bands F'ed up the heavy metal scene. :evil:

that would be my guess maybe..but I don't really think that metallica used a C++..good mics and a good engineer, with one hell of a bad *** amp to begin with will definately achieve that puppets tone easily. In fact maybe a better tone!

Hi !
I had two regular C´s and one C+. They were actually three very different amps. The c+ had the most gain, but it was also kind of "tamed", as it was more compressed than the other two, and very Quiet. In my opinion the + thing must have taken something on behalf of its nature.

I have the earliest 2c left these days, and although it is a bit noisy on the lead-channel it is much more "bold" in a way... For heavy Metal the C+ would probably be really nice, but for country/Blues/jazz/rock/hard rock I would actually pick the 2c. It is more of a traditional amp, but it still has seious amounts of gain ! It is kind of "open" with a much greater headroom than the C+. The C+ is less dynamic and less sensitive to pick attack.

I have had 12 Boogs over the last ten years, and the best ones are a Late Mk2b and the early 2c. Both fully loaded simul class amps.

I also have a 76 MK1 super sixty with none of the extras, and that is a really nice amp. But thats another story.

I sold my C+ and got me a 65 amps London. A very different thing, but soundwise I will never regret. I still have the Best Marks around :)

Stian
Norway

Stian,
how do you compare your MkIIC 60/100 and your MkIIC Simulclass?

Thank you
Daniel

Latest posts

Back