Mark IIC just as good as a C+?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a 2C that I had upgraded to a IIC+. It was a 60/100. Apparently, when it was a IIC, the power tubes weren't in great shape, 'cause MikeB replaced them. That might shade my opinions of the IIC. The reverb tank was shot as well, but that's easier to ignore when comparing the two amps.

The lead channel is very different, IMHO. I like the IIC+ tone better. But, that's because I bought the IIC for the classic boogie lead tone and the IIC+ *is* the classic boogie lead tone. If you are more open to discovering a different boogie sound, the IIC could be for you.

A big problem with the IIC is that the effects loop is just plain stupid (sorry Boogie). I don't use many effects, just a delay on occasion. On the IIC, the effects loop comes before the amp's lead circuit. Therefore, when I'd go to get a little bit of tasty echo to go with my delicious lead tone, my echoes would get smashed to hell and it would sound like crap.

The IIC+ puts the effects loop in its now-standard position -- after the lead circuit. As a result, your overdriven lead sound gets the echo put on it and it sounds right.

Chip

Latest posts

Back