Mark IIC+ - Guide for Dummies

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dspblues said:
OK, newbie question... are these amps 4 x 6L6 or EL34 or they could be either? Looking at the manual I thought they were 6L6, but I just got one that's EL34! Help?

Simulclass can use two 6L6's in the inner sockets, and EL34's in the outer, or all 6L6's. Non Simuls can only run 6L6's, and none of them use all EL34's. If that's what your amp has don't play it until you get new tubes.

I misunderstood, I thought you had a 100 watter. Those aren't the right tubes for that amp, it needs two 6L6's. Unless it was modded or someone found tubes that matched the bias range, I don't think I'd play it with those. You could do some damage.

CONGRATS BTW!!! ;-)

Thanks!! I plugged it in today quickly... sounded good. I'll have it checked out by my amp tech.. and throw in some 6L6's in there.

Thanks again

played my C+ with my 4x12 last night and the worst thing happened.. there was no guitar in the pa so i had to turn it up master 4 Lead 6 on 70watts.. :D

one word

HUGE

From what I've been told... as long as it's biased correctly, it should work fine. That being said, I'll be putting 6L6's in it. :)

dspblues said:
From what I've been told... as long as it's biased correctly, it should work fine. That being said, I'll be putting 6L6's in it. :)

There isn't a bias adjustment in the MkIIC+ so you have to either change out some resistors to set the bias in a correct range, or try to find tubes that have the correct draw. Did the previous owner do that?

Or buy correctly matched and overpriced Mesa tubes :D

Platypus said:
giving this a sticky ;)

Thank You!!!

I was just talking to another C+ owner about these amps and their tone. My quote was: " It doesn't sound like a Marshall, but it does its own thing so well that I don't give a ****." :lol: :lol: :lol:

When will Mesa Boogie/Why haven't they, do a re-issue of this famous amp? I want one.

Klaasman said:
When will Mesa Boogie/Why haven't they, do a re-issue of this famous amp? I want one.

Apparently they can't get the output transformer anymore. If they could get it....hell it would be worth having them custom made to spec, knowing how much money they would make. Fingers crossed though!

Mystic-Creations said:
Klaasman said:

Apparently they can't get the output transformer anymore. If they could get it....hell it would be worth having them custom made to spec, knowing how much money they would make. Fingers crossed though!

I have the old file from the original manufacturer. I can have one wound in a few days. Mesa does not intend on a C+ reissue because it is all basically found in the MK IV.

Mystic-Creations said:
Klaasman said:

Sorry dude but that isn't true.. they can get just about everything to make a pretty dam good reissue but i reckon that it's because the mk IV is a close enough amp( with more options) that they wouldn't need to..

And with a mk V coming out soon who know's..

New member here. I've got a chance to buy #129## from a good buddy. It's black tolex, simul class w/reverb but no EQ. Very good condition and has an EV Force speaker. Also has additional cabinet.

Any idea how much this thing is worth and is that the original speaker? Also, any recommendations on tubes? My old MkIII was very picky.

Thanks!

I highly doubt it's the original speaker. A production Simul C+ without Eq...I'd say no more than $3k. Add whatever for the extra cabinet. You might also want to factor in $100 or so to swap the Force speaker for an EV12-L.

Concerning tubes, you could go the easy route, meaning contact Doug's Tubes and ask for his recommendation. I've had great dealings with him, and I'm sure others here will recommend him highly. He seems to understand Boogies, and his preamp sets get rave reviews. Or you could go the NOS route. This will be more expensive and more work, but the results might be worth it. Here's a link to a very informative thread:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopi...0&postorder=asc&highlight=timbre+wolf&start=0

For power tubes, Doug can set you up also. I've had good results with Winged C's and Mesa STR 440s. I can't help you on EL34s as I don't run them in the Class A sockets.

Latest posts

Back