Mark IIC+ 105 BS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogiewan Kenobi

Reaction score
Folks,

Hope all are well. Question for the group, when and how did all this BS about the 105 transformer and how it pertains to a IIC+ come about? eBay is all I can assume!

I hate it when the folk lore to sell an amp gets in the way of reality. I have received numerous e-mails from people wondering if they should hold off for a 105 transformer IIC+ etc.

WELL - FORGET all about it. IT is nothing but hype. In fact, quite the opposite. Next they will be talking about the best Mark III is the one with the 105 (they do exist!)!!

The 105 was intorduced to give more power and clean headroom to the Simul-Class amps. The 105 was great in the Class AB 60/100 models where is generated almost 120 watts RMS.

For the Simul-Class amps, it gave a solid 75 watts in Simul-Class BUT it generated lots of voltage (~500) and thus the amp had to be biased with "less" of the class A in the mix - the whole IDEA of Simul-Class. Thus the amp is less spongy and more stiff. STILL GREAT BUT in fact contrary to the mythos of wanting a IIC+ with the fabled 105!

This was also all before the "loss" of the Sylvania rugged 6L6, so it is even more ridiculous with todays new production tubes.

If you want a IIC+, either 60 watt, 60/100 or Simul-Class, pick the amp you like, not some line about is it a 105. Unless it was a 60 Watt or an export model - THEY ALMOST ALL WERE!! SO to settle the issue, a Mark came with:

60-xxxxxx Transformer for the Mark I to Mark III Super Sixty
X61-xxxxxx Transformer for the Export Mark IIA to III Super Sixty

100-xxxxxx Transformer for the 60/100 Mark I to IIC for the domestic AND Export amps

105-xxxxxx Transformer for the 60/100 and Simul-Class Mark IIC/IIC+ and early Mark III amps.

X100-xxxxxx Transformer for the 60/100 AND Simul-Class Export Mark IIC, IIC+ and Mark III

So enjoy your tone and stop worrying about the numbers on the bell of a transformer!!!! :D :lol:

BWK

Ed,

Thanks so much. Good to be back. I drop in when I can. I saw so much of this stuff realted to 105, I could keep quiet NO longer. Nice post on the Mark III Exactly - early Balck Dots!!

Wait until you see my latest rig (in construction as we speak). Coupled with the rest of the guys (Mark IIB 1x12 and Thiele for other guitar player, Bass 400+ and 6x10, Mark IIC+ 1x12 for occ. lead singer guitar) in an all Obscure Stones tribute band - serious volume and tone. To date, I use a IIB and a Mark I Combo.

Hope all is well with you.

Cheers,

Ian

Ed,

On the right track, but not quite. IT will be sick however!!

Will make sure you get the first photos!!

BWK

Great post.Thanks.
I should probably do some more research on that stuff for my own amp knowledge. I have no idea what tranny is in my MArk3 simulclass. I should take a look.

I've just purchased a Lonestar and I love it. I need to pay for it. Do I sell the 84 C+ or the '76 les Paul Gold top. Oh yeah I met Les Paul and he signed the Paul.

Back