Mark IIB questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

groovetuber

Reaction score
I am curious as to what upgrades can be done to the Mark IIB. I found one that has the graphic EQ and Reverb and it's the standard 60 watt version. Is it possible for it to be upgraded with the capability of switching between 100 and 60 watts. I'm sure there would have to be quite a bit done to it, but I'm just curious if it can be done. Also, what are your thougts on wooden cabs and wicker grills? How does it affect the sound. I've gotten a bit of input on that, but I thought I might as well ask everyone here. Thanks much!

I'm no technician expert but the transformers (power[?] and output) would have to swamp out for larger transformers. Then two extra sockets needs to be drilled for the 6L6 sockets.

I would have the effect loop improved even if you don't have use the effect loop it improves the reverb's tone. My IIB had a "tubby" reverb until Mike Benedilli [msp] made this mod.

Personally I would keep it a 60 watts amp => If you are into "driving the power stage tubes" to hit the "sweet spots" you don't have to kill your ears. Unlike 100/60 watts Boogies, your output transformer is a 60 watts output transformer and you could saturated the transformer hitting the sweet spots.

Eveyone makes a big deal having multi-watt tube amps, but owning alot smaller tube amps, I realize that saturating output transformer is a key to hitting the "sweet spots".

But then again, this bulliten board is leaned toward high gain which "sweet spot" are more guitarists prefering saturating low power guitar tube amps. No flame here, just preference what you want out a tube amp. :wink:

I guess that makes sense. So you're saying that the standard 60 watt version would be better than using 60 watts with the 60/100w switch? Or would it sound the same if it's 60 watts either way? And 60 watts would be enough power for gigs, right? I plan on also getting a 1x12 cab, so I should have plenty of power, correct?

All things equal (speakers, type of speakers etc ...), MESA Boogie's are hands down the loudest amp per watts.

It really depends on your band, size of halls, type of music your band plays, I think 60 watts will handle just about most case.

But that's a matter of preference. Hope others chime in.

The type of music that I play is jam band stuff, like Phish, RAQ, etc. I would only use the cleans on the amp and use an Analogman Silver TS9 as my main distortion. So the band isn't going to be extremely loud or anything, it will be loud enough, but not metal loud.

groovetuber said:
The type of music that I play is jam band stuff, like Phish, RAQ, etc. I would only use the cleans on the amp and use an Analogman Silver TS9 as my main distortion. So the band isn't going to be extremely loud or anything, it will be loud enough, but not metal loud.

IIB should be good for that kind of gig. I use an Analogman Silver TS9 with my Mark IIB 1x12 and it sounds HOT.

Nice, thanks for the input. Well, I'm definately looking forward to getting a IIB. By the way, AM Silver TS9s are amazing! I was using a Keeley TS9 mod plus and then i bought the silver and the difference is pretty big. The silver is so clean and and natural sounding, love it!

groovetuber said:
Nice, thanks for the input. Well, I'm definately looking forward to getting a IIB. By the way, AM Silver TS9s are amazing! I was using a Keeley TS9 mod plus and then i bought the silver and the difference is pretty big. The silver is so clean and and natural sounding, love it!

It's the best overdrive pedal I've ever used. I've got an Xotic AC Booster and that's also REALLY tasty, but it really is more of a boost rather than an overdrive - the tone doesn't change, you just beef it up a bit.

When you get it, make sure you fiddle around with the graphic EQ A LOT. Takes a while to find the right balance.

Cool, thanks for that. Do you use just use the speaker in your amp, or are you connected to another 1x12. If so, which cabinet do you have? I am planning on getting a 1x12 cab as well, I just wanna see what you think would be the best option for the style of music that I play.

groovetuber said:
Cool, thanks for that. Do you use just use the speaker in your amp, or are you connected to another 1x12. If so, which cabinet do you have? I am planning on getting a 1x12 cab as well, I just wanna see what you think would be the best option for the style of music that I play.

I mainly use just the speaker in the combo, but every now and again I'll hook up to my THD 2x12 (quite possibly the best 2x12 ever built).

Back