Mark I reissue with 6V6 tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cho

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a Mark I reissue that has 6V6 tubes in it. I was not aware that 6V6's could be used on this amp... Does anyone know if the amp could be damaged using these tubes?
Thanks, in advance.

It can take 6v6 tubes (and EL34s), but you have to run in "tweed" mode, and you have to switch which jack you use for the speaker.

I pasted the following from the Mark I Re-issue manual:

With the POWER switch in the TWEED position, it is also possible to utilize different types of power tubes for different sounds, styles and feels. In this position, the MARK I can be used with not only the standard 6L6 type tubes, but also 6V6 and EL34 power tubes as well. Using these three types of power tubes, three very distinct personalities can be achieved. With the standard 6L6 tubes in place, the amp is most versatile - warm and rich sounding, yet capable of delivering full power for lots of clean headroom. These tubes can be used in either the NORMAL ( switch up ) POWER position, or the TWEED ( switch down ) position for a softer sweeter sound.
Installing the smaller 6V6 power tubes (most often seen in the classic Fender Deluxe amps) produces a sound that is vintage and beyond. ...

REMEMBER...Only use the 6V6 tubes with the POWER switch in the TWEED ( down ) position. Using them in the POWER switch (Up) position will cause them to burn out rapidly! For a proper impedance match when using 6V6 power tubes, the internal combo speaker should be connected to the 4 OHM SPEAKER JACK or used with a 16Ohm speaker cabinet on the 8 OHM SPEAKER JACK. With the 60 / 100 switch in the 60 watt position, the 8 OHM SPEAKER JACK becomes a 32 Ohm jack and the 4 Ohm jack becomes a 16 Ohm jack. Again, mismatching in the lower than proper impedance direction will cause power tubes to wear faster and sound somewhat “harsher”.

If you need a copy of the manual to read up on it before you buy, go here:
http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/Mark1 Reissue.pdf

Hope this helps!

Thanks very much! I just found it in the manual too. Next time, I will read the manual before I post..

By the way, how are the STR-417 6v6 tubes? Any comments?

Latest posts

Back