Mark I mode for hard rock

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eudaimonia02912

Reaction score
I've been trying out Mark I mode instead of crunch for hard rock kinds of applications, such as Guns N Roses, Extreme, and Van Halen.

I got these settings from another user:
45 watts
tube rectification
Gain: 10:30
Treble: 1:30
Presence: 12:00-1:00
Mid: off
Bass: 9:00
Master: 12:00 or higher
normal/thick: to taste
boost with a Tubescreamer

I haven't gotten to mess around too much with this yet, but I think buried in there might be an even better hard rock sound than what I can get out of crunch. Crunch is great, and has some great harmonics, but I would live it to have just a touch more gain, a little more bass, and smoother highs. If I can just get pinch harmonics to squeal as nicely in Mark I mode as in Crunch, I think I'll be set.

Spewnz said:
bring the mids up that's where the angry lives.

Not sure why, but Mark I mode sounds best with the Mid OFF.

To the OP, if you want more gain, turn up the gain. It sounds great without altering the tone up to about 2:00.

Hendog said:
Spewnz said:
bring the mids up that's where the angry lives.

Not sure why, but Mark I mode sounds best with the Mid OFF.

To the OP, if you want more gain, turn up the gain. It sounds great without altering the tone up to about 2:00.

I think you might be right about the mid off.

I'm getting some awesome tones with Mark I, but I'm having a hard time setting it where it sounds good but is at a comparable volume to the other channels, unless I keep it in 10 watt mode. However, in 10 watt mode, the effects loop is really weak.

I need to try those settings as I still after 2 months cannot get the blanket sound off using Mark I mode. I just use crunch. So what is the consensus.....raise the mids or lower em? Hearing mixed thoughts. Thanks.

I'm back to using crunch after a day and a half of Mark I experimentation. Mark I can do some cool stuff, but crunch does a hot-rodded Marshall sound so well, I'm going to need to stick with that.

MK1 Mode, 45W, variac power, tube tracking

gain:2
presence:1:30
Mid:10:30
Treb:11:30
Bass:10

fulltone fulldrive (tone almost off)

Great crunch and liquid lead (boost on) :twisted: adds another 2 settings to MK1 and gets rid of the "blanket" character

Back