Mark 5:25 noise issues.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwa6970

Reaction score
Hi All,

I got a new Mark 5:25 in May. I absolutely love the amp but am having noise issues Buzz,Hiss, and when I turn it up with no guitar plugged in at about noon in both channels I get a weird ringing feedback noise. :x I am guessing its a tube problem but being a new Boogie user I would like some experienced input.
Any help would be appreciated.
As much as I payed for the amp and the cabinet I am hoping its simple as a preamp tube swap.

Yes, it's most likely a preamp tube. You will need to pull the chassis to get to many of the preamp tubes. The manual has a page that lists the functions of the tubes. Each preamp tube has an A & B side. You might be able to narrow it down based on what modes it happens in. Another approach is to switch around the tubes and see if the symptoms change.

What kind of settings are you using? I found the 5:25 to be geared way hotter than the full size MkV. On the full size I had the gain around 2:00, on the 5:25 around 11 for similar feel.

Oh and this:

'when I turn it up with no guitar plugged in'

don't do that :) Never run a tube amp with guitar or speaker unplugged, all bets are off then, it's damaging too

schwa6970 said:
Hi All,

I got a new Mark 5:25 in May. I absolutely love the amp but am having noise issues Buzz,Hiss, and when I turn it up with no guitar plugged in at about noon in both channels I get a weird ringing feedback noise. :x I am guessing its a tube problem but being a new Boogie user I would like some experienced input.
Any help would be appreciated.
As much as I payed for the amp and the cabinet I am hoping its simple as a preamp tube swap.

Hi. Understand the noise issue when guitar is not plugged in but what about when you're playing?

If you haven't fixed the noise issue, here's a quick checklist:
- make sure reverb cable is fully seated (bottom of amp)
- check that you are using speaker wire (and not a guitar or patch cables) to connect amp and cab
- disconnect from power source/amp has cooled down and check that tubes are all fully seated (may have to remove chassis from cab); you could try swapping tubes to see if it makes a difference . . . .

Good luck.

Hi all thanks for your responses. To further answer your questions about my problems. I always use a speaker cable. I have been using tube amps forever and this is the most important thing other than never running without a load.
I have never heard of turning a tube amp on without a guitar plugged in being damaging I dont believe that to be true.
as quoted from the gear page about the guitar not plugged in thing
"It doesn't hurt an amp to turn it on without a guitar attached".
"It CAN hurt an amp to turn it on without a speaker attached."
Yes I turned it on without my guitar plugged for about 10 seconds to check to see if I had bad cord or some kind of noise issue with my guitar. only to diagnose the problem nothing more.Never have I turned any tube amp on without a speaker attached.
I havent tried reseating the tubes yet thats my next step.
Even with my guitar volume turned all the way down I still get the squeal at 12 on the master and an enormous amount of white noise(hiss).I am starting to lean towards the tube running the loop.
If I have nothing in the loop or into the front of the amp except guitar it is a lot quieter but the hiss is still there. I really hope I didnt sacrifice my pre Cbs Fender Deluxe to get an amp that has noise issues I would cry .

You need to pull the chassis and start swapping preamp tubes until you find the bad tube(s). Yes, always have a speaker attached while the head is on. Makes no matter if a guitar is plugged in or not.

Latest posts

Back