Mark 1 Ampography?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ultramog

Reaction score
Has anyone started a list of albums featuring the Mark 1? If not, and you have any titles, add them here.

I'll start with, duh,

Abraxas, Santana

The Inside Story, Robben Ford
Ouch I just previewed this one on Amazon; it doesn't pass the smell test. Abraxas rocks, though.

I'm pretty sure all the guitars on the first Weezer album were done with a Mark I.

Saw a couple of Mark I's behind Santana when he came through vancouver on the MDW tour (great concert). I'd assume that's what he used for recording aswell. His rhythm guitarist used RK's

Keith Richards used his Mark 1 hardwood with graphic eq for the following albums.

Love You Live
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Hail, Hail Rock & Roll (with Chuck Berry)
Talk Is Cheap
Main Offender

Larry Carlton w. Crusaders I think is all Mark I. I believe all the 70's Santana albums (not just Abraxas) are Mark I. I've seen one on a video in the UMRK but I'm not sure what albums FZ used one on, but he has definitely used them live, probably in the studio also.

zebpedersen said:
Larry Carlton w. Crusaders I think is all Mark I. I believe all the 70's Santana albums (not just Abraxas) are Mark I. I've seen one on a video in the UMRK but I'm not sure what albums FZ used one on, but he has definitely used them live, probably in the studio also.

I remember seeing one in the background during Baby Snakes while Frank is singing the 'frosting a cake with a paper knife' section of 'Flakes'.

Mark I + half-cocked Cry Baby = instant Systech / mid-70's FZ :)

The Eagles used Mark I also - Holdsworth, Ron Wood, Lukather all definitely used Mark II, but they all made recordings at the end of the 70's before the Mark II came out. MESA literature of the time lists them as endorsees.

You know the DVD infomercial we've all seen for `The Midnight Special' performances. I've noticed a couple of bands using Boogie Mark 1's live. I'm not sure if they used them on record but I've seen a Boogie Mark 1 in the backline for America as well as for Eddie Money. Next time the infomercial comes on look carefully.

Per the Guitar World article I have to add Who Are You? and remove Abraxas - he was using a pre-mark 1 w/o cascading preamp stages. I'm guessing Santana III and on are Mark 1. The list so far --

Carlos Santana
Santana III
Caravanserai
Lotus
Love, Devotion, Surrender (McLaughlin too? -- sounds that way to me)
More...

John McLaughlin
Love, Devotion, Surrender -- Speculation based on listening and his presence in period Mesa promo
Others McLaughlin?

Larry Carlton with Crusaders
Southern Comfort
Chain Reaction
Those Southern Knights

Keith Richards
Love You Live
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You
Hail, Hail Rock & Roll (with Chuck Berry)
Talk Is Cheap
Main Offender

Frank Zappa
Baby Snakes

The Who
Who Are You?

Robben Ford
The Inside Story

Weezer
Blue Album -- This was a good find; I missed them completely at the time. Strong album. Did Ric Ocasek use Mark 1s on other productions?

Unspecified Eagles, Holdsworth, Lukather

well if you are counting Larry Carlton, then you need to search everything he PLAYED on back then since he was about the premier NY session guitar player for several years - the lead on Steely Dan/Kid Charlemagne is him - i think My Old School too ...

I really wanted to count all of Carlton's session work, but then I saw this; Fender Deluxe. This after I picked up The Royal Scam on CD and bragged to my wife that was the sound of *my* amp. D'oh.

Back