Made the jump...to spongy.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingster911

Reaction score
Spongy - I never have been turned on by this sound, but I was listening to Saxon (yes, Terminal Velocity Saxon). I put my Road King II on spongy on the variac and ch. 4 vintage and it gave me that smooth but still half-biting attack for leads on such an 80s song. I was just improvving but man it did hit a certain sweeter spot than when it's on bold. So I guess I'm gonna separate my days now - Bold for Metallica playing, even with their leads, and Spongy for the pop punk/lots of chords and power chords playing (sounded great on my brit channel with overdrive going) and for liquid-y solos.

Another spongy lover here. It's definitely a nice change of pace. I'm always back and forth though. I guess I just love tweakin'.

**** didn't know I'd find so many spongelovers!! I guess I've been pretty dialed-in and never tweaked as much as I have for the past month on my amp. Now tell me what kind of advantages you think spongy has for your style/tone like I was saying: 80s glam/metal solos and pop punky types of fast power chord songs for me.

Almost always on spongy/tube unless in a metal mood then bold/silicon

**** I guess I was in a perpetual metal mood then! Even though it'd stay on Bold for reggae too. I personally don't enjoy my untouched clean tone's flavor after siwtching it to spongy, but the lead sounds are where it's at. I might just push it with the diodes though, does anyone know if that'll give the cleans back their fullness? It's like a chimey quiet breakup when I bring it down to spongy, with not as much oomph.

Playin' with the sponge mode now. More of a bluesy feel for me, even w/ all the gain I dial up :shock: I'm kinda likin' it!!!

I think we started a revolution; a Spongy revolution! Now all we need is an independent Variac switch for each channel. What the hell would they call THAT technology?

With spongy I've found some tone heaven... from great cleans through bluesy to heavy rock rhythm

It probably also depends upon what's going into the amp? ... 90% of the time I'm playing a LP with humbuckers

just spent 2 hrs on spongy...channels 1-4.

Aerosmith to Zeppelin to Metallica to Lamb of God.......it all sounds great! 8)

I'm going to try to achieve my similar Death Magnetic rhythm tones on Ch. 4 modern with Spongy here in a sec. I guess it's nearer to Metallica's live much more "untouched" sound unlike the 5-distortion-pedals-at-the-same-time sound on Death Magnetic.

Haha might as well be!! Yeah...Metallica deserves Bold and only Bold. Saxon gets the Spongy treatment. Yes...THAT Saxon. I'm only 20 years old too haha.

spongy is the wasy to go if you want that saggy, creamy lead tone.

spongy and 50 watt setting on crunch mode on my stiletto and im in tone bliss :D

Back