Lusting after Mini Rec

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm leaving now to go test drive a mini rectifier. I'm suspecting it might come home with me. I've been lusting after an amp like this for over a year now. All the demo vids make is sound sooooo gooooood. Versatile too! Wish I had an extension cab already as the $999 for the head is going to hurt. Unfortunately all I've got at the moment is a Pod and a combo with a 16 ohm speaker. Definitely going to have to sell the combo (and some other crap too) if I end up getting this. It's weird, I think I've already bought it in my mind. Now I just need to do it for real....

I'll update ya'll with pics if/when I bring it home...

Exactly the same experience for me. I kept all the stuff neat for a couple days. After that I realized that there was no way I was going to return it...

The cab has a HUGE effect on how it sounds. Choose carefully.

Enjoy!

So where's the jaw dropping to the floor smiley?!!?!?!

WOW!!!

I'm still pretty new to playing guitar and this was alotta dough to drop on my 'hobby' but I am absolutely blown away by this little box of awesome.
Went all in and got the 1x12 mesa slant cab to go with it. You only live once right? Totally blew any sort of gear budget for the entire year though. Time to sell off some crap now..

they get along nicely.....

6889170845_7845872a9e_z.jpg

Congratulations!! You might as well just plan to call in sick tomorrow!! :mrgreen:
I continue to be very impressed with mine.....

I just try one out and man! Sound so good in a 4x12 oversize, very versatil, I can't believe I didn't buy it on the spot... :(

Probably next week!

Congratulations!! You might as well just plan to call in sick tomorrow!!

The thought definitely crossed my mind.....more than once. :twisted:

It's a weird feeling I have now, I don't really want any more gear at the moment, blasphemy I know... :shock:

Tried out the mini rec with my EP boost last night. Good stuff on both channels! It doesn't really need a boost per se, but that EP just makes anything and everything sound sweet.

I think the 'pushed' mode on Ch1 is my least favorite of the bunch. I also think the straight up 'clean' channel is this amps hidden treasure. Glassy and smooth with the gain set low, just enough nasty and hair with the gain up high!!

There's a lot of good tones hiding inside this amp.

AleisterCrowley said:
Tried out the mini rec with my EP boost last night. Good stuff on both channels! It doesn't really need a boost per se, but that EP just makes anything and everything sound sweet.

I think the 'pushed' mode on Ch1 is my least favorite of the bunch. I also think the straight up 'clean' channel is this amps hidden treasure. Glassy and smooth with the gain set low, just enough nasty and hair with the gain up high!!

There's a lot of good tones hiding inside this amp.
The pushed setting, IMO, only sounds good when the master is turned up all the way. But when you push it hard enough to get the power section overdrive it is freakin' loud! Even at 10w......but man it sounds good.

I'm digging the 'pushed' mode a lot more after trying the suggested settings found in the manual.
The 'tight crunch' and 'punk rhythm being the fave's so far. Both go over the edge into bliss with the boost engaged.

As a side, I have to mention again how rad the boost pedal is with this amp. I bought it to sweeten up my old (somewhat crappy) amp, and am very happy it works wonders on the mini rec as well.

Other observations after 1 week of ownership: LOUD. Still searching for my favorite metal tone. I like it the best with P90's so far, they seem to be easier to dial in than SC's or HB's.

using pushed i was getting some van halen-esque tones last night..sounded amazing. I had the gain cranked almost all the way and it still was very dynamic and clear, just aggressive enough on the high end..perfect

AleisterCrowley said:
I'm digging the 'pushed' mode a lot more after trying the suggested settings found in the manual.
The 'tight crunch' and 'punk rhythm being the fave's so far. Both go over the edge into bliss with the boost engaged.

As a side, I have to mention again how rad the boost pedal is with this amp. I bought it to sweeten up my old (somewhat crappy) amp, and am very happy it works wonders on the mini rec as well.

Other observations after 1 week of ownership: LOUD. Still searching for my favorite metal tone. I like it the best with P90's so far, they seem to be easier to dial in than SC's or HB's.
My favorite mini metal tone is mids all the way up the highs all the way down, presence at 12:00, then use the bass as needed. You wouldn't think it would sound good, but it does.

Are you using the boost in the loop?

For those of you in search for great "Pushed Mode" sounds, be sure to dial up (both) the trebs and mids to 2 - 3 o'clock with the gain set high....say around 4 o'clock, bass around 10 o'clock and presence to taste (my preference with presence in this scenario is 10 - 12 o'clock). I find myself achieving fantastic classic rock crunch rhythm tones in the Ch1 Pushed Mode with the master volume set between 10 - 12 o'clock! :mrgreen:

My point being, the treble and mid control can be used to really add a nice touch of gain in both modes of Ch1 when they are both set fairly high. One doesn't have to rely entirely on the gain knob or dime the Ch1 volume for exceptional bluesy mild to medium breakup (Clean Mode), or medium to high gain classic rock crunch ryhthm/lead tones (Pushed Mode) offered in Ch1.

Check it out if you haven't already done so! You may just like it a LOT!! :lol:

One more thing......

I use HSS type guitars, and for my best high gain "Pushed Mode Sounds" as described above, I am using position 1 (Bridge HB) of my HSS. For the mild to medium dirty clean sounds offered in the "Clean Mode" as described above...I normally switch to position 2 on my HSS (mixing the HB bridge PU with the Single Coil middle PU).

Also, I am typically in 25W mode in Ch1....

YMMV......Experiment! There is quite a wide variety of excellent tones offered in Ch1 alone!!

Latest posts

Back