LSS vs. LSC vs. Maz 38 Sr (NR): Revisited

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
Some of you may have read my previous posts on this (see [1] below for links). I ended up with an LSC, LSS, and Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr (purchased in that order). My initial plan after getting the Z was to dump the LSS. Man, am I glad I didn't.

The Z is a GREAT but, so far, limited amp. I know that I need to spend more time with it to really get to know the controls but even the work I've done has shown me that, as other posters have pointed out, the amp is VERY bright and not incredibly versatile compared to the LSS. It is also by far best LOUD. This is not to slight the great amps Z makes; they are very toneful, expressive, and powerful.

Honestly, the amp I use the most by far is the LSS. There is just something really special about this amp. It is capable of great tones and a great variety of them; it is useful in MANY contexts (obviously has to be miked up in a big place); and as one poster pointed out, the 5 watt settings are very special. It has held up well for me, looks great, and is easy to transport (1x12 with casters).

In the end I may sell the Z <sniff>; great amp but maybe not necessary. The LSS covers me for so many things and the LSC is there if I need 6L6 or big power.

Gun-to-head, have to keep only one? LSS

[1]
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17380
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=17142
http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=16880

I was in EXACTLY the same situation and I dumped the Maz 38 and kept the LSS (I have a 1 x 12 LSS combo with the 1 x12 ext cab) for almost the EXACT same reason.

With both a LSC (I have a head with a 2 x 12 Carr cab) and the LSS, you can cover a LOT of sonic ground.

I still think the LSS works BEST with single coils wherein the LSC works great with either.

I think the LSS can come SO close to the best tone the Z produces; but it does so, so, so, much more.

Thanks for the update. You may know I've been considering a LSS 1;12 for a backup/whatever for my Blue Angel 1;12 because it'll fit the same flight case, but was concerned about some reliability issues I'd been reading about, and the clean headroom of the LSS.

I'm glad you followed up on this thread, and hope you continue. I really want to like the LSS, but it's a major day trip to go actually play one. I have a 96 Fender Prosonic 2;10 combo that is my backup now, but it won't fit the flight case, and is a 6L6 amp (although it will do class A w/tube rectifier, and has a "normal" channel and a cascading gain channel) so is a different feel. I loved it when it was my #1, but am just addicted to EL84 amps with less power I can crank a little live.

Anyhow, best of luck to you.

Murph.

i have a lss 2x12 combo and 07 lsc 2x12 combo both great amps but i use my lss 2x12 combo with a u.s deluxe tele the most. i have just changed the power tubes all they had were gt el84sq rated at 6 i must admit i like the sound of them i think a bit warmer on channel 1 and ch 2 sounds good too i also put one gt 12ax7m i had lying around that sounds good too.but i hear that the 12ax7m do not last long sounding good and become mediocre sounding after about thirty hours of playing and cost about $24.00 each.
as you say the lss with the output and solo as well as two channels just makes a great amp for on stage. i,m not big on pedals and have a draw full of them from over the years i get all the sounds i want out of both of these amps. any one tried tungsol 12ax7 tubes in the lss amp i would like to know what you think of them

Glad to hear that too.
When I was in the market for an amp,..the Dr.Z was a strong contender,I came very,very close to ordering one,..settled on the LSS,..cause it was the only thing,I could get my hands on right away,and the variable wattage was a bonus! It's perfect for me,...but I have wondered since,... how the Z would "measure up".

longhair55 said:
...but I have wondered since,... how the Z would "measure up".
Don't get me wrong: the Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. is a GREAT amp; great tone, loud, strong, articulate. I may or may not part with it (although I'm also thinking maybe a Maz 18 Jr would be better since I do mostly clubs). The problems with the amp are: less versatile IMO then the LSS, LOUD, heavy.

I was going to replace the LSS with the Dr. Z; I'm very glad I didn't (i.e. glad I kept the LSS); the LSS is what I use the most.

GeoBull you may be pleased, or eanvious or interested to know I no longer have a headroom or compression issue on Channel 1.

I finally have it totally dialled for clean as a whistle at band/gigging volume. The sound is so fantastic that songs I have previously used overdrive for I am now playing clean.

I have also started using an overdrive pedal on the clean sound and find I can get that bass thump of a quad box through the combo.

"I'm also thinking maybe a Maz 18 Jr would be better since I do mostly clubs"
Actually,the maz jr was what I almost ordered,..since it was almost the same cash,a little cheaper really,..I would have gotten a 2-10" Combo with reverb.
But the fact that the Z only has one channel,and that I would have had to order it before checking it out first hand,lead me to the LSS,plus the fact that I already had a Mesa.(so I knew what to expect,unlike the Z)
If you ever get the JR,.I would be interested on your opinion,comparision of the two (LSS vs Dr.Z Maz jr.) !!!

Leroy the Massochist said:
GeoBull you may be pleased, or eanvious or interested to know I no longer have a headroom or compression issue on Channel 1.

I finally have it totally dialled for clean as a whistle at band/gigging volume. The sound is so fantastic that songs I have previously used overdrive for I am now playing clean.

I would actually be very interested in a checklist of what you have done. Thanks for the advice.

Leroy the Massochist said:
Will post photo of settings shortly

Leroy, I'm definitely interested in your settings. I've been trying to dial my clean as well...

Latest posts

Back