LSS vs. Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr (ad nauseam)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeoBull

Reaction score
Feel free to ignore if you are sick of my ongoing discussions on amp comparison but...

It's now official for me: After finally getting some more time to A/B my LSS 1x12 vs. my Dr. Z Maz 38 Sr. the verdict is:

The LSS is a better sounding, more versatile, more fun amp to own. Here's the detail:

The Dr. Z does have one tone that is not exactly replicable on the LSS: that very punchy, very in-your-face, tone and touch that you almost get by default. Beyond that I find it a limited amp (although that tone in the right context is great). I imagine I could spend more time playing with the knobs (I hear that it takes some getting use to how they really work) but my exploration has led me to the conclusion that by and large this is a one scenario amp. You can play with the master and gain to get different flavors of wool (although things get noisy when either are dimed). You can use the cut to take some of the intense brightness off (VERY bright amp); I'm really not able to find a whole lot more than that. Another thing is that the Z really needs to be cranked; I guess I could buy a soak but the LSS just doesn't have the same need to be cranked; the power switching and the Output knob are both great ways to get good tone and control volume.

Compare that to the LSS. Using just the manual settings as a starting point I can get many very distinct sounds and feels. Both channels have great settings for getting furry and ch. 1, while you do have to work and are still not going to get the absolute headroom of the LSC (or the Maz Sr.), has GREAT clean and furry tones. I use the power switching ALL the time even on the gig. A great setting at 5w gives some nice dirt in a club setting; switch to 15 or 30 and things clean up nicely. Note that at high club volumes you have to work to get really clean and in general once the amp is cranked and heated up it's going to break up: and BEAUTIFULLY. Ch. 2 is not always easy to dial in but many of the manual settings are good starting points and switching drive in and out can be done on the gig to get distinct sounds. Besides that the knobs themselves are VERY responsive and the amp doesn't just have one sound; although I do think that there is a commonality under all the sounds (the LSS sound) that gives everything a consistency; i.e. it's not like you're modelling to get all sorts of radically different unconnected sounds; it's more like you're getting the maximum ability to explore what's possible with your guitar, your fingers, and a great amp.

Maybe one day I'll be done with this whole thing (probably after I sell my Dr. Z); I still have to really sit down and explore my LSC 2x12. If you're reading this and considering an LSS go to GC or elsewhere take it a closed room and explore; I think you'll love what you hear and feel.

Couldn't agree more. I had the Maz 38, the LSS ,and the LSC and kept the LSS and the LSC and sold the MAz.

I'll be the dissenting one here. I owned several LSS and sold them as didn't like them live. But Played several Maz Sr.'s and would much prefer it live over the LSS.

While not as versatile as the LSS, I really like it's voice better , just my .02

And trust me I'm as big a Boogie guy as there is...note my sig -- all Boogies for my Electrics.

Latest posts

Back