LSS Shut Down

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

picnic

Reaction score
I picked up a year old LSS 1x12 last week and have been using it and enjoying all week. Last night at practice it shut down. No sound, no lights on the front panel, no fan, zilch. My first LSS a few years ago fizzled to a halt also, but GC give me a new one in exchange.

I checked the usual list of problem areas. Outlet, fuse, cables, all good. We were in the middle of a song when the sutdown occured. The amp was on 15 watts and in the 8 ohm speaker jack when it went out.

This is a bummer, but the amp can be repaired. I have all the paperwork needed and there is an authorized repair shop about 40 minutes away. I was looking to hear if anyone else has had their LSS quit on them like this and what was the cause. Thanks

Check your rectifier tube and re-check the fuse,I'm guessing the rectifier blew and took the fuse with it.This is a VERY common issue with this amp.Good luck and hope you get it straightened out.

Anyone else having these problems. I have been thinking about picking one up but I need to have something that is going to work everytime I plug her in.

I rechecked the fuse and it was blown. Time for more powerful glasses. thanks for the tip.

But there is a new issue.

The amp only works in the 30 watt mode. Nothing on either channels in the 5/15 watt settings.

Now replace your 5Y3 rectifier and your 5 and 15 watt settings will work. The 30 watt setting doesn't use the rectifier...that's why it works.

FYI...If possible,replace the blown 5Y3 with a diecent NOS one.Not terribly expensive,readily available and far better than the POS Mesa offers.This exact problem happened with my LSS last summer.Since using a NOS rectifier tube as a replacement,I've had zero issues and I play the amp every day.

I had the same problem. I sent mine to mesa and had a mod or upgrade that, so far (couple months) has solved the 5y3 blowing problem. I could have easily gotten discouraged with the initial problem however the sound of this amp to me is so good that it was worth the hassle to get it straightened out. In spite of the the earlier 5y3 problems (and crappy cable that goes to the foot switch) I still really love the tone of this amp. I have owned probably 25-30 amps and this is my all time favorite to just set down and play..

Yup, just had the same issue the 5Y3 Rectifier tube, replaced it - problem solved. I bought an extra one when I sent for mine from Torres relatively good price - Russian Sovtek.

I have to agree this amp is well worth it. It is a very sweet sounding amp.

Glad to see all is well.

Zeemo

How much does the rectifier tube affect the amp's tone? Lots of them out in the market for sale at various prices. The tube I got from my local tech is a Fender label Sovtek.

That and four JJ EL84's cost me $48

Hi,

For the last four months, I have played my LSS just about everyday, sometimes for an hour or so, and sometimes for three or four hours, and to date, no problems have arisen. I am still surprised at how much I like the sounds of this EL84 based amp!

I also want to say how much I appreciate the members of this forum who so generously contribute their time to share their experiences that have helped me squeeze way more sound, fun and satisfaction out of my Mesas than I ever expected.

Bill brings up a good point - I know I have seen a couple of posts where folks are saying that their experience has been this rectifier tube going south is a common issue with these amps but like him I have been playing mine everyday for at at leeast 1- 3 hours, sometimes longer. This has been since august - roughly 5 months I dont know if if this is excessive or normal but I dont think that amount of time is unreasonable. Although I suppose I have yet to see how long this one will last.
I dont know that a rectifier has much to do with tone / sound or just "sag" ......which I don't really understand myself.
I would also like to know.

I know that since replacing my 5Y3 I really didn't 'notice' any kind of difference - iI suppose if it was there, it was too subtle to notice.

Zeemo

picnic said:
How much does the rectifier tube affect the amp's tone? Lots of them out in the market for sale at various prices. The tube I got from my local tech is a Fender label Sovtek.

That and four JJ EL84's cost me $48

The tone may be very subtle and you may not notice it but the biggest difference to me is the 'feel'. When pushed, with the stock tube, the sound gets flabby, unfocused, and thin. I replaced mine with NOS tube and the sound is now tighter and full. Night and day difference. I run it pretty hard and no problem so far. The stock tube went out and took the fuse after about 5 months.

Back