LSS: Loud Popping

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett Nachman

Reaction score
So, I have a Lone Star Special 1x12 which I love, but there is one thing that is going on, and I can't figure out the reason.

Basically, whenever I switch into or out of 5w mode, there is a loud pop. This happens whether it is in the same channel (i.e., I flick the switch on the front of the amp) or from one channel to the other (e.g., using the footswitch to switch from 5W channel 2 to 30W channel 1).

When I switch from 15 to 30 or vice versa---in any combination---no pop at all.

Mesa suggested it might be a power tube problem, but switching ot the tubes had no effect. Any ideas.

Thanks,
Brett

What is gain and master volume set at when you're switching? Try setting all controls to 7:00 then switching. Then gradualy bring your volumes up and see what happens. Another possiblity is to switch your power tubes in their sockets: example: take two each and switch them with each other. If it's a tube you'll find out. 5 watt mode only runs on one El84 (which one I don't know) but switching them will isolate it. Hope this helps.

Thanks Kyle. This happens at any volume and any gain level---even with the volume totally off.

The tube position swap was the first thing I tried---made no difference.

If I can't figure this out soon, I might have to drive this thing up to the Mesa factory and have them look at it.

Brett

I finally got to the bottom of a popping issue in my mesa. Shitty saudering on mesa's party. Couple of capicitors were almost loose...Take it to a qualified tech and have him look it over.

Thanks for the replies. I am just going to take the amp to Mesa next week. I called them today and they said this shouldn't be happening. Easy hour drive for me, so I'll see what happens. reat customer service from them, as always.

Brett

Latest posts

Back