LSC vs ....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CGM

Reaction score
Does anyone have an opinion , or A/B'd an LSC w/a Rivera Venus 6. It's a 35 or so watt Class A w/4 6V6's?' supposed to have plenty of headroom....I have a LSS ( which I love), and am looking for a partner. I'm pretty much sold on a LSC, but a salesman pointed me to one today at the store I teach at ( of course they don't have Mesa's). I have some equiptment I could trade here and maybe not have to come out too much cash. Is this a worthy consideration?...the amp seem's to have plenty of options....actually it is more $ than a LSC... All thought's and opinions are welcome and fodder for internal mental debate...please, don't be shy...Thanks in advance...BTW...I play Blues, Roots Rock, and sorta movin towards a borderline , swing, jazz combo kinda reality....CGM....

LSC vs Venus, not the same. but I would demo that venus and if it sounds as good as on the web site, I'd buy it! If there isn't a LSC sitting in a store in your area, then your gonna have to order it from Mesa or buy it online somewhere. Its always better to play the amp you buy and take it home from the store. My friend got a tremoverb off evil-bay and all the tubes where shattered from the shipping. That Venus amp from Rivera is the only amp on my wish list. They make great amps.

I think a similar comparison just came up recently... though not regarding the Venus 6. Actually, I've been sort of curious about Riveras myself; I've seen/heard good things about them, and there are some good YouTube demos out there.

There's a mom & pop music store nearby -- there must be a term for this type of music shop, like a Mall-style music store; they carry the B-to-C-list line of new gear, you know, they're an "Official Dealer" for Squier, Peavey, Takamine, Boss, lots of stuff from Korea... and Rivera, of all things. I kind of want to support them by relieving them of one of these.

Anyway, you know you should really A/B the two yourself if you can. The flexibility of the LSC is major, though -- you can get Class A with Yellow Jackets in the outer sockets and using the 50 watt setting, use 6L6s, 6V6s, EL34s, etc etc... I run YJs and 6V6s in my LSC right now, which brings the output power down to half or so, and oooooo it's so sweet. It's just awfully configurable and sounds amazing wherever you put it.

My experience with Rivera amps has been pretty good, I just liked the 5 year warranty and customer support that Boogie has better. Really loved my band mates Knuckle Head. Paul builds some good stuff though.

Ok guys ..I made a decision. I played the Revera and like everyone said....It sounds real creamy. So I took some gear ( I don't use anymore ), and traded w/almost no out of pocket. It makes a GREAT partner for my LSS. It is much brighter ( maybe the speaker) and seems to be much louder.
The cleans are spectacular. The break up is smooth and the reverb is delicious. I really can't think of a better combo of amps. I played all day yesterday and will again today, dialing the two in together. It seems wierd that together , these amps sound great if I dial'em in together. If I switch one off it changes everything completley. Lots of options for sounds , commbos of cleans, combos of distortion, combos of cleans & distortion. What a friend of mine calls real option anxiety.
I've pretty much just played a G&L thru them , but I've got a 71' ES 335 I'm gona try. Anyway just thought I'd shoot a line about my decision. This doesn't mean the LSC is not in my future , but not the near future. Can you tell I'm blushing...I'm in love.......

Ok guys ..I made a decision. I played the Revera and like everyone said....It sounds real creamy. So I took some gear ( I don't use anymore ), and traded w/almost no out of pocket. It makes a GREAT partner for my LSS. It is much brighter ( maybe the speaker) and seems to be much louder.
The cleans are spectacular. The break up is smooth and the reverb is delicious. I really can't think of a better combo of amps. I played all day yesterday and will again today, dialing the two in together. It seems wierd that together , these amps sound great if I dial'em in together. If I switch one off it changes everything completley. Lots of options for sounds , commbos of cleans, combos of distortion, combos of cleans & distortion. What a friend of mine calls real option anxiety.
I've pretty much just played a G&L thru them , but I've got a 71' ES 335 I'm gona try. Anyway just thought I'd shoot a line about my decision. This doesn't mean the LSC is not in my future , but not the near future. Can you tell I'm blushing...I'm in love.......

You managed to keep the LSS. Great move! Now your playin both together. If you get hooked on that, and play out, now you got 2 amps to haul. Maybe you can run a stereo set up with a chorus or delay. Anyway, congrats on your new amp.

I'm definetly hooked on it and I do have a true stereo visual chorus H2O. That might be my next move. I don't know too much about delay units, all I remember from the day is that it was used on a lot of rockabilly. Any thoughts in that direction would be helpfull. Who makes a good one? Also I have a pedal board set up for stereo. I do like running both amps together, it sort of broadens out the sound. The LSS seems a little darker and the drive on the 2nd channel seems to fit my style more than the Brit style on the Rivera, tho I do feel myself getting drawn in to the lush chugging and blatting that it affords. And ..running both amps with two styles of distortion really can draw you into musical areas you had'nt thought of entering before.
Something else I'm wondering is ...does the bias on either amp need to be adjusted to match w/ the other one if your running stereo? I think I saw a thread on here about that. Seems like I've crossed over into another deminsion. If thats not enough...next week I start studying Jazz . Not that I really want to play it...I just want to use it to affect what I already do. I really appreciate all the feedback and the mental meanderings that a site like this gets you. I'll get some pics up ...Chuck..

Jazz huh? Well, what ever floats your boat. Stereo delay? My Boss DD-3 does it, as all the Boss delays. I could see that rockabilly effect now that you menton it. Definitely to long of a delay will sound ridiculous so keep it short. The sound of 2 different dist ch's at the same time sounds interesting. Just 2 amps at the same time sounds cool. I actually run a Parker guitar piezo pup(clean) through an acoustic amp(Marshall) along with my magnetic pup's through my LSC + pedal board and get some amazing sounds with that combo. Anyway, keep us posted on your H20 adventure. I'm sure it will surround you with a lush wall of sound.

Latest posts

Back