LSC Reeder Mod Ch2 Clean setting - Have you tried this?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonOfIAm

Reaction score
I did the Reeder Mod (Pot Swap) about a month ago and really like it but always used Ch2 with the Drive enabled. I was tweaking my amp today and just for kicks and giggles thought I'd try Ch2 on the Clean setting. I was under the impression the two channels would sound pretty much the same. Not so, the amount of gain on Ch2 pleasantly surprised me! All I was looking for was a "pushed" version of my Ch1 tone and I ended up with a much better mid-gain overdrive than I ever expected. I am even more pleased now than when I first did the mod! Funny thing is, after all my tweaking, my settings are virtually identical on both channels. Go figure :D

IMG_5441.jpg

Yeah, I like this a lot, actually... in fact, it makes me want a 3rd channel. Practically speaking, these days I have more use for Ch2 with Drive engaged than I do for that mid-gain rhythm sound... but oooo, what a nice sound it is. It gets you into that Voxy territory -- nice and crisp, super responsive... cleans up right away but starts out with a mean crunch. It's real good with P90s.

Yeah, these Lonestars are a gem. Shame on me for not trying Mesa sooner! :oops: Played it some more today and I'm really enjoying Ch2 much more. It was great before but this is more what I was looking for when I bought the amp.

djw, I know what you mean about having the Drive engaged for the mid-gain rhythm, it is a very sweet sound! I did take the plunge and have an Xotic BB on the way which should give me all the gain I'll ever need. I'm just hoping it gets along with my Barber LTD. :)

with the Reeder's mod, with the same setting, both channels should sound the same. You must have the 'thick/thicker' enabled. This switch has the most impact when the treble is 1:00 or higher.

I did the Reeder mod, and I'm very pleased with the result. I think the Reeder mod makes the Lonestar's 2nd channel a perfect extension of the 1st channel. I play mostly low to medium gain stuff (roots rock, power pop, country and some blues), and the available gain on the 2nd channel is more than adequate. For my needs, the Lonestar with the Reeder mod is versatile and sounds great at any volume. I agree that a 3 channel LSC with the Reeder mod would be an incredible amp.

Latest posts

Back