LSC Re-tubed made huge difference.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DantheMan

Reaction score
I bought a Lonestar Classic (2-12) over a year ago. I never was completely satisfied with the sound. It never had the high end "sparkle" or "smooth" low-end that a good Fender Twin has.
Recently, one of my Boogie 6L6 power tubes blew-up (didn't last over 14 months). When I replaced all 4 6L6's (you need to replace all 4 with a matched set, even if you only need 1) with a set of JJ's - WOW!!! What a difference!!! The amp really came alive!!! NOW it sounds like the greatest amp ever - like others have said about the LSC.
If your LSC doesn't sound like the greatest amp ever - try a set of JJ's or maybe Svetlana or another brand - I'm try'n to sell JJ's here, but they did the trick for me.
Maybe I bought the only LSC out there with poorly performing power tubes, but if there's one, there's probably another.

BTW, I had to go back to the store (Far-Out Music in Clarksville IN) for another set of of JJ's after the first set I tried had a quality issue - the filaments rattled like b-b's in a jar. The second set worked better.

Great now I'm psyched!!! I ordered quad of SED 6L6s and a couple of pres that should be in tomorrow!

I am happy with the sound but it's too hard to dial in mids without mud!

I'm very happy for you!

I've heard Mesa's are biased cold, maybe you got some tubes that are a little hotter and are closer to optimum bias.

Me? I ordered from Doug @ Dougstubes.com

We shot the **** for about 30 mins and he made the recommendation!

Should be in tomorrow and can't wait. The amp sounded bad tonight.

Geez, I seriously hope it's the tubes, if not I am trouble this weekend.

strumminsix said:
Great now I'm psyched!!! I ordered quad of SED 6L6s and a couple of pres that should be in tomorrow!

I am happy with the sound but it's too hard to dial in mids without mud!

I'm very happy for you!

Please let us know how it turned out for you. I'm curious to see if if I'm the only one with this issue.

Back