LSC or LSS?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbagg

Reaction score
Ok, Im about to buy a lonestar...now...classic, or special? I loved the classic, but havent played the special...Aside from features, whats the TONAL difference in them really?

Also, is there any real difference between the orginal lonestar and the newer Version 2, or whatever? I know the newer is 10watt selectable...

Also, how the ace?

The only functional difference is the power section. Unless you're playing in an extremely loud band, they both will have enough power.

LSS can be 5-15-30 watts with el-84's.
older LSC can be 50-100 watts with 6L6's, but you can switch bias for others.
Newer LSC are 10-50-100 watts.

I preferred the lead channel on the LSS (seemed smoother) and the clean channel on the LSC when I checked it out at the store. . . . not 100% sure if it was the tubes or transformers or whatever.

fatbagg said:
Ok, Im about to buy a lonestar...now...classic, or special? I loved the classic, but havent played the special...Aside from features, whats the TONAL difference in them really?

Also, is there any real difference between the orginal lonestar and the newer Version 2, or whatever? I know the newer is 10watt selectable...

Also, how the ace?

The LSC has much more girth and bottom end. It also to my ears has to much bite for my taste. The LSC will definitely have more clean headroom if you need it.

The LSS is more sweet, smooth & warm to my ears. However is not nearly as loud. I think the LSC will probably have more power than you will ever use unless you just do a bunch of high volume gigs where your amp is not mic'd.

I would definitely play through both BEFORE you buy one or the other! You may be kicking yourself in the butt later!

I have recently learned about the THD yellow jackets witch allow you to put EL84's in the LSC. so this means you can put 6L6's for fender\boogie tones, you can use EL34's for Marshallish tones, you can use 6V6's for \fender delux tones and you can use EL84's for Vox\LSS tones.
with that being said I woudl suggest you go with the LSC because you can acheive the tones of both the LSC or the LSS. you cant pull that off with the LSS.

but the best advise is plugem in and play your ears will lead the way.

when I was exploring - my ears told me LSC ... I wasn't able to get that ringing clean out of the LSS as well as the breakup at the same time. I know it's there ... they are both special amps.

the last 2 times i played out, other players came up to examine the amp to see where i was getting the tone. i suck, but the tone is phenomenal.

I have both the LSC (2x12) and the LSS (1x12). They are very different sounding amps. Simply put the LSC is more Fenderish, big round sounds, and very powerful. A lot more clean headroom than the LSS. The LSS is more Vox-ish, sparkly, breaks up earlier.

I read the post about the YellowJackets that can allow LSC to use EL-84s. Two issues here: First, check on what this does to your warranty; 2) the two amps will still not be the same: LSS is advertised as Class A and has 5,15,30 watts. LSC is advertised class AB at 100,50 watts and A at 10.

I end up using my LSS a lot more. It is VERY easy to transport and I've done a lot of jazz/funk/blues gigs lately where it fits perfectly. If I had to keep one it would be LSS; but I do love the LSC. I would make sure to try them both side by side and think about the types of gigs you'll be doing.

the Yellow jackets actually turn class a\b amps into class A amps.
here is a link, check it out its pretty cool.

http://www.thdelectronics.com/products/yellow_jacket.htm

Totally different amps in my opinion.

THe LSS is a cathode biased el84 where the LSC is a fixed bias 6l6.

Regardless of what boogie will tell you. BIAS MATTERS!!!

I would purchase the LSS for this reason alone. If I had a classic I would have to modify it to be able to adjust the bias.

Latest posts

Back