LSC Effects Loop Level

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tle4

Reaction score
I have seen people say to set the loop output around 1:00 for a good tone. I find I like it all the way up. I compare all the way up with the true bypass tone and it seems almost identical to true bypass when it is all the way up. Where do you guys set the output.

tle4 said:
I have seen people say to set the loop output around 1:00 for a good tone. I find I like it all the way up. I compare all the way up with the true bypass tone and it seems almost identical to true bypass when it is all the way up. Where do you guys set the output.

Keep in mind that is not the loop output, but the effects loop send control. The higher you set it, the more signal you are sending any effects in your loop. If you set it too high, you will overdrive the input(s) of your effect(s). Do you have anything in the loop right now?

No I dont run anything in the loop now. I tried a Carbon copy delay in the loop and didnt care for it much. I dont really use delay that much. I do like having loop engaged so I can use the solo feature. I am trying to get away from effects. I think with the LSC, I can get away with going to a gig with just the amp. I brought my big pedal board to a gig tonight and I didnt really use it much..... Maybe a little OD for more solo sustain on a few harder rocking songs and My Memory Man Deluxe sounded good up front.

I do notice with nothing in the loop and the send all the way up.... and I flip between loop bypass and loop, it sounds about the same tone wise. It sounds thin to me at 1:00 . I am still pretty new to the LSC so I am still learning how to set the dials. The tone knobs took some getting use to.

Louder generally sounds better (bigger, thicker, fuller, insert term here).

It sounds thinner at 1:00 because you lowered the volume on the amp. If you were to turn the master volume down a similar amount you would notice a similar thinning of the tone.

The easy solution is to turn the effects send volume down to normal levels, then turn the master volume back up to compensate. I alway ran my effects send at 12:00. I never found that turning it up to 1:00 improved anything, but it didn't hurt anything either.

I guess I will play with it some next rehearsal and see how it sounds at 12-1:00 in a band setting at band levels. I learned quickly with this amp not to make settings changes at home. I get it sounding great at home and then it sounds horrible in the band mix.

It is a great amp though.... I use to never like playing my strat but with the Lonestar, I think the strat may be my #1 live rig now.

tle4 said:
I use to never like playing my strat but with the Lonestar, I think the strat may be my #1 live rig now.

I couldn't agree more. The same Strat I was considering selling just a couple months ago is never parting ways with my LSS. The combination is magic.

tle4 said:
I guess I will play with it some next rehearsal and see how it sounds at 12-1:00 in a band setting at band levels. I learned quickly with this amp not to make settings changes at home. I get it sounding great at home and then it sounds horrible in the band mix.

Actually, you'll eventually be happier once you are more familiar with how the amp works, and can make settings changes without worrying about messing something up. I used to actually take pictures of my settings whenever I'd get something that I thought was extra spankin'... but now I have a better feel for what to do at home vs. rehearsal vs. gig, and I twiddle all the time just for fun (though usually I just set and forget when I'm on the job). How that works probably varies from player to player, but in my case I generally end up turning the CH2 gain & drive down as the volume goes up. Also as things get louder, I can't really expect to have the same sort of open, airy bass response that I hear at home -- so I have to be conscious that turning the bass up only mushes things up. And don't forget -- you can turn up real loud with this amp.

I totally back you on your sense that you can just lose all your effects (esp. delay etc) and just plug in now... the tone is so good you don't need anything to make it better, and don't want any crap in the way of the goodness! I keep my loop engaged just so I can use the solo boost, but I'm starting to wonder if I even need that... I may just get back into using my guitar's volume to clean up and dial in a decent rhythm tone at about 7, and just twist it for solos.

Yea.... I think I am getting the hang of it now. I got some good tones out of my LP Studio at rehearsal last night.

Latest posts

Back