LSC Combo to head and cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonOfIAm

Reaction score
Just thought I'd post my project. The Black Shadows in my combo died so I had Mesa send me some Vintage 30s so I made the closed back cabinet and matching head shell. Still need to decide how to protect the tubes, thinking about some type of metal grate as opposed to wood but not completely sure.

20100322_0006.jpg

20100322_0007.jpg

Nice Job Dude! Tongue and groove, looks sturdy enough. Whats with the tube ring thing? And what kind of wood?

Thanks plan-x. The wood for both is 3/4" Baltic Birch. The rings are tube dampers, quite a bit of rattle from them. Seems to have done the trick until I decide what tubes I want to go with next. Leaning toward Winged C's but the amp's still under warranty. Gone through 3 sets of Mesa tubes in a year and a half though. Sent the head to Mesa the last time to have them check it out and they say it's fine.

Awesome! Nice work SonOfIAm. Must be something in the air. I just completed my own rehouse project -- not made with my own hands, unfortunately, but that's a good thing because if I did it it would look like something on the bottom of my shoe. I admire your build skills.

Nice to not have to haul that monster around, isn't it?

Musical123 said:
Hi SonOfIAm,

What are you using for the tube dampener rings?

They are described as "High Density Silicone Vacuum Tube Vibration Dampers: Aerospace silicone - Rated at 400 degrees F". I bought them on ebay and have been trying to find the company I specifically got them from but can't find them. There's a few others on ebay that appear to be similar. Got some for my Dr. Z's el84s and they work wonders on those as well.

handyandy said:
Nice job SonOfIAm!
Like the colour did you just use woodstain?
Thanks. I used Minwax Sedona Red stain. Applied stain, sanding sealer then shaded with a mix of stain and polyurethane.

That looks great, and I'm considering doing the same thing with the head, but I'll be resting it on my the half-emptied cabinet.

Latest posts

Back