LSC - 2x12 Combo or Head + 2x12 Cab

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAZZGEAR

Reaction score
I previously owned a LSC 2x12 Combo that sounded Killer...I sold it when I ordered my Road King II.

To date, I've only gigged my RK II only twice since 12/06 -- not because I don't like it but because I have other amps....I actually love the RK II

While the RK II has the LS cleans, the actual Lonestar has a vibe not readily there with the RK II -- I can't explain it. Also I find that in some instances, I want the simplicity of the LSC (and the lighter weight). I tried to compliment my RK II with a LSS, but while very nice sounding, it doesn't cut it in a band, at least not for me....plus I don't like its sound when it has to get really cranked and those EL84s begin to compress.

OK to the point, I am purchasing a LSC. What I am unsure of is -- if to go to the form factor I previously had and loved (but would be redundant with my RK II combo), or try the head/cab setup.

I am afraid that the head/cab setup won't sound exactly like the combo or won't have the vibe of the combo. But am intrigued by the versatility of the head/cab combinations possible.

Anyone out there's tried or had both setups.

I welcome your advice.

My sense of it is that if you get the matching LS cab the sonic signature will be very much the same. Having said that, I chose the 1x12 combo as I think it captures the build specs the best and more importantly for me, I can place it off the the floor on a tilted amp stand and get the sound pointed right towards my ear.

I would not want to go through racking the head and tilting the stand for the speaker enclosure to do that with the head/speaker option.

Just my $.02

I have a LSC head on order . I played through a combo for years but now Im sold on the head and external cab . Its just another way to dial in your sound a little more . As mountain fever mentioned you may want one of the LS open back cabs since you are sold on that type sound . I have a 2X12 RK cab and a 4X12 Stiletto slant cab . I plan to use my LS head in a few ways . One being with the Deuce head via an amp switcher on the 4X12 cab and sometimes just the LS head on the 2x12 cab . Decisions, Decisions ?!

Mountain Fever said:
My sense of it is that if you get the matching LS cab the sonic signature will be very much the same. Having said that, I chose the 1x12 combo as I think it captures the build specs the best and more importantly for me, I can place it off the the floor on a tilted amp stand and get the sound pointed right towards my ear.

I would not want to go through racking the head and tilting the stand for the speaker enclosure to do that with the head/speaker option.

Just my $.02

Hmm...yeah, that's exactly my concern is that with a Head/Cab setup...there's no easy way of mounting the cab& head on a stand. I think I may go with the 2x12 Combo -- I really loved that amp.

Barry said:
I have a LSC head on order . I played through a combo for years but now Im sold on the head and external cab . Its just another way to dial in your sound a little more . As mountain fever mentioned you may want one of the LS open back cabs since you are sold on that type sound . I have a 2X12 RK cab and a 4X12 Stiletto slant cab . I plan to use my LS head in a few ways . One being with the Deuce head via an amp switcher on the 4X12 cab and sometimes just the LS head on the 2x12 cab . Decisions, Decisions ?!

What the hell...since I have the RK II 2x12, I don't want too much duplication and I am going with a head....like you said, this will allow me to experiment with different cabs

Thanks

I just went to a Head+external cab for my MKIV. I bought a wide body open back cab, loaded it with a EV, and am waiting for a wide MKIV head shell from Boogie. Much easier on the back and much nicer to record with....my .02... :D

I've got the 07 head and lonestar 2x12 and love it. I find the 10watt option VERY useful and sounds great. I had the 07 2x12 and had problems with tube rattle so I took it back and got the head/cab. I even put Mesa castors on the 2x12 so its a breeze transporting it. As far as tone difference I didn't notice a drastic change like a cabinet change or speaker swap.I did notice the head/cab sounded more open and less compressed. I knew you'd be back Jazzgear 8) .

hi jazzgear well i received my 2007 lsc 2x12 combo a couple of weeks ago and i must say. i custom orderd it from up here in b.c canada and i live in the interior i had it in less than six weeks it got here before i got to pay my visa with it on great service from mesa and in perfect condition
so now i have a lss2x12 and lsc 2x12 both combo's i must say about the lss 2x12 combo i have it in the optional out put that give's it 38 watts and i use my tele with it and my les paul with the lsc 2x12 and that little amp lss 2x12 can keep up with the lsc 2x12 i think the lss 2x12 has more air with using two 16 ohm speakers or i am just lucky.i just love my new lsc 2x12 it's a great amp lots of vibe and the 10 watts its pretty loud it sounds great with humbuckers where as the lss 2x12 has too much chime for me with humbuckers. but i still think the lss is the best amp out there for single coils and the lsc for humbuckers. i have a head and cab. i found it a real pain because i like to tilt bcak the speakers so you are always finding some were to put the head

Made a decision:

Ordering the 2x12 Combo (hard to go against a format that really worked for me before).

And will also order the head shell. This way when the time comes that I don't want to deal with the combo, I will already have the head shell to transfer the amp into -- and sell the combo cab to offset the cost of the combo, This should be fairly straight forward cost wise as it is only $200 between the head and the 2x12 combo.

I do have another question:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Long vs. Shorthead (except for the obvious size and weight diff)?

Is the Reverb pan different size? Is so which is better?

Handling tubes I'd think would be easier in the long head.

JAZZGEAR said:
I do have another question:

What are the advantages/disadvantages of the Long vs. Shorthead (except for the obvious size and weight diff)?

Is the Reverb pan different size? Is so which is better?

Handling tubes I'd think would be easier in the long head.

I think the difference in size is purely cosmetic .

Well, after much flip flopping ...I ended up ordering the STD Head & 2x12 Cab...GC threw in some nice goodies (~$200 - Peterson Strobo Stomp) for going with the more expensive config.

JAZZGEAR said:
Well, after much flip flopping ...I ended up ordering the STD Head & 2x12 Cab...GC threw in some nice goodies (~$200 - Peterson Strobo Stomp) for going with the more expensive config.

Did they give you an ETA on your order ? i ordered my LSC head on May 15 . They were building some LS heads a few weeks ago but they were filling some older orders . The rep told me that the next run of them is the last week of july and mine should be in that batch . I think you will like the head and cab better . IMHO .

Barry said:
JAZZGEAR said:

Did they give you an ETA on your order ? i ordered my LSC head on May 15 . They were building some LS heads a few weeks ago but they were filling some older orders . The rep told me that the next run of them is the last week of july and mine should be in that batch . I think you will like the head and cab better . IMHO .

I didn't even ask.....I was kind of embarrassed with the changing of my order so many times.... :eek:

JAZZGEAR said:
Barry said:
JAZZGEAR said:

I didn't even ask.....I was kind of embarrassed with the changing of my order so many times.... :eek:

Dont feel embarresed . Its alot of money and you need to be sure thats what you want . At the end of the day you are the customer and your satisfaction is whats most important . Without people like you and I there would be no Mesa/Boogie or GC . By the way I bet thats a nice tuner !? What part of the states are you in ? Or are you stateside at all ?

Barry said:
JAZZGEAR said:
I am in New York...

Whats that peterson tuner like ? Im thinking of one , I use the Boss one presently .

You will throw out the BOSS once you learn to use the Strobo-Stomp. You wil realize you've been out of tune when you compare them sde by side.

However, there is a learning curve with the strobe tuners. If you've never tuned this way, you may get frustrated and even think that the tuner sucks...but patience and practice......

I will never tune with anything else again.

JAZZGEAR said:
Barry said:
JAZZGEAR said:
I am in New York...

Whats that peterson tuner like ? Im thinking of one , I use the Boss one presently .

You will throw out the BOSS once you learn to use the Strobo-Stomp. You wil realize you've been out of tune when you compare them sde by side.

However, there is a learning curve with the strobe tuners. If you've never tuned this way, you may get frustrated and even think that the tuner sucks...but patience and practice......
I used strobe tuners eons ago . I had an old Conn strobo tuner . Ill check one out . If you get an ETA on your LS head let me know . Ive been waiting almost 8 weeks now . The rep told me that they are making some the last week of July .

I will never tune with anything else again.

Latest posts

Back