LSC 10/50/100 vs LSC 50/100

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ama_kid

Reaction score
Hello all!

First post after being a reader of these boards for some time now. I've been a longtime Boogie owner (endorsee for a time a few years ago) and all of you have provided some invaluable information and help getting through some of the quirks of these great amps, some of which Mesa didn't necessary want to share with me and I thank you guys for that. I need a little help though...

In addition to my Mark IV and Maverick, I would like to add a Loanstar Classic to the fold. I love the pure tone of these amps, and if you were faced with the below situation, what would you do?

LSC 1x12 50/100, Blue with Silver grill for $1265 or
LSC 2x12 10/50/100, Black with Tan grill for $1939?

I have both on hold right now while I make my decision. I love the look of the black with the tan. Is that 10-watt and an extra 12" really worth and extra $700? The 10/50/100 does sound cleaner (quieter inbetween playing) with the drive engaged on Channel 2. Has anyone noticed this?

You can check the below link for the sound I am going for.

http://www.myspace.com/amiddayatlantic

The songs on there were recorded with a Framus Ruby Riot II, Framus Dragon Top and a Vox AC30. We are mainly playing small clubs right now and I have a Geezer Sound Corp 2x12 with V30 (http://www.geezersoundco.com/info.html) that I will also run with it. I had a roadster before, but it sounded a little sterile on the clean channel and I could never get that sweet airy overdriven tone and velvety smooth lead tone from it; always had that rectifier low-mid grit in there.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts! I know you alll will point me in the right direction!

Jasun Krebs

No question I'd go for the 100/50 version, as that's what I own/gig and it works great. To me, being able to drop the wattage to 10w doesn't mean anything because I only ever play the thing live and as such have no issues with excessive volume. It sounds fine in my living room as well so I'd not ever use the 10w setting. Also, a 212 mesa combo is a serious piece of gear to lug around, so if you can get a 112 I'd go that route and use the money you're saving to buy a EV speaker for the thing, and possibly a matching Theile cab.

Get the 1x12. I lost my casters on mine and it is a freaking beast to lug from a parking lot to a stage. My handle is almost ripped in half from all the carrying, pushing, pulling, cussing. Sounds great fired up though. Never tried the 10 watt version because with enough tweaking and microphone placement it sounds good at even a whisper.

I have fully convinced myself that I am completely absolutely 100% OK without the 10 watt setting. I've never found myself in a situation in which the only solution for me would have been to have had the 10 watt option. The thing sounds amazing at any volume. The savings in $$$ and ### are most definitely worth it. Having noodled a bit with a 10/50/100 model at GC once or twice, I have absolutely zero regrets about jumping on my deal when I did. Best gear pickup for the money that I've ever made.

...That being said, the way I hear people who are able to fire up the 10 watt setting describe it make me wish I had it. But not enough to deal with selling mine to upgrade.

It would be great if you could knock a grand off the price on that 1x12. But I still think it's worth it.

Thanks for the feedback guys! I knew you would steer me in the right direction! I think my hesitation was/is with how pationately everyone with the 10 watt option talks about it. Also hesitant about the blue color 'cause I have always had amps with black tolex. With an extra $700 in my pocket, I might just be able to look past that and possibly just use it to pick up another tele to use for all of our alternate tunings (our other guitarist likes to tune strings down when he can't reach a certain chord ;P)

Any last thoughts on the extra noise I was getting with the 1x12 when I demoed them side to side. Anyone experience that? It wasn't really feedback...just a little noise that seems to go away when I played and came back when I stopped (as you could hear, I never really stop playing anyways).

Thanks again guys! Much appreciated!

jasun

You'll definitely can get those sounds from that link with a LSC. Just add a delay and chorus and Comp. Go for the lightest and cheapest Lonestar. I heard in a post here once that the 1x12 combo had a deeper, or fuller bottom end than the 2x12. If thats true, go for that. And I agree about the amp sounding good at bedroom levels on the fifty watt setting. You can squeeze some sag out of it in the tweed setting in the tube rec mode and loop engaged.

well ... if weight is an issue - then 1x12 will solve some of that. of course, you could get a head and a cab and really distribute the weight.

after playing 1x12 for a long time, i hear a difference playing 2x12. my combo is 2x12 and is it heavy ?? yep. too heavy for me ?? no, i'm 6'1" 230# and athletic, so it's no big deal. if it weighed 200# i would be less happy - until i plugged in ... it is amazing.

Mine's an LSS not an LSC, but the extra harmonics with the single ended class A 5 watt (so presumably the same as the LSC's 10 watt) gives a much sweeter and harmonic drive (IMHO).

I have the short head 50/100 and plug into a variety of cabs. I find myself plugging into a 1-12 in most home, recording and small gig situations. Sounds great. I've played the 10/50/100 and while nice on the 10 I would probably not use it that much.

Thanks all!! I decided to go with the 1x12 50/100 Blue LSC. With the possiblity of picking up a used late 80's tele for $650, I just can't justify spending the extra scratch on the 10-watt option and an additional speaker. I'm running it in combo with a front loaded V30 equipped 2x12 anyways, so I don't need the extra 12". Plus, looking at some of the pics of the Blue 1x12, I am really starting to like the Blue tolex...

Thanks again! I'll post up some pics on the Rigs and Tones section when I pick it up!

jasun

Here's my setup with my blue LS...

IMG_00130.jpg

That 10 w option is NOT worth those dollars. I was lucky and got mine on a GC $999 blowout. mit cover, FS and 5 yr warantee!
I've owned about 40 amps. I'll spare the details except that this amp makes me smile. Currently running EL34. I also seem to see alot of shredders using this amp. hmmmmmm......
the 10W thing intriqued me for a bit, but if thats really your thing, a/b with a epi valve junior (price of a pedal).
Seems as the price of LSC has actually risen a bit over the last 6 months too.

the word is out.

BTW, I play mine w/ EBMM JP6 and AlbertLee sig, HamerUSA artist and '59 Gibson jr.

So, I went ahead and put the LSC 50/100 1x12 with cover, footswitch and casters for $1210.65 on layaway. Too bad they had just taken off the clearance price of $999 on the 1st. Here's the catch...to get the discounted price, GC made me pay for an additional 2 years Mesa warranty ($159.99) so the total cost came out to just over $1450 out the door. Still not bad at all for a Lonestar, but I am going to contact my old rep at Mesa and ask him about requiring me to purchase the extra 2 years worth of warranty. I think their sales manager is just trying to screw me out of another $160 bucks.

Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all of your advise!

Madryan - Very nice setup there! Gorgeous! Where'd you get that extn cab? 1x12 or 2x12. C90's 0r V30's?

ama_kid said:
So, I went ahead and put the LSC 50/100 1x12 with cover, footswitch and casters for $1210.65 on layaway. Too bad they had just taken off the clearance price of $999 on the 1st. Here's the catch...to get the discounted price, GC made me pay for an additional 2 years Mesa warranty ($159.99) so the total cost came out to just over $1450 out the door. Still not bad at all for a Lonestar, but I am going to contact my old rep at Mesa and ask him about requiring me to purchase the extra 2 years worth of warranty. I think their sales manager is just trying to screw me out of another $160 bucks.

Any thoughts?

Madryan - Very nice setup there! Gorgeous! Where'd you get that extn cab? 1x12 or 2x12. C90's 0r V30's?

I bought the cab when I bought the head. I've got a V30 and a WGS CL-80 clone in it and it rocks.

Live I use a oversized Avatar 212 with the same speakers.

ama_kid said:

Any thoughts?

How old is the amp? Mesa warranty is transferable 5 years. If it still have at least a year or so, then I'd say no to that bogus GC deal, not a good deal btw. On local craiglist, I've seen these 50/100 go for around $900 to 1000. Used 10/50/100 go for 1,400. good luck

ja22y - Thanks for the reply and the info! The amp is brand new in the box at GC; not floor model or used. The current 5 year warranty on new products still apply, so their tacking on an extra 2 years to that (so 7 years total).

I've been checking craigslist (San Diego, LA, Orange County and Phoenix areas) and ebay for about 2 months and haven't seen a used one under $1400 BIN or starting at $1100 without it and about $100 shipping. There's currently one on there in Orange County with cosmetic damage for $850, which I considered, but after getting the photos, didn't like where and how extensive the damage was. I've seen posts where the Lonestar used market has been drying up lately, so I guess I missed the boat.

I just talked to my old rep (consiquently, also my local GC's rep) and he stated that because the amp is considered a "C-Code", there is no need to purchase the additional 2 years of warranty. So, when I go in there on the 18th to pick this baby up, I'll pull a little of my weight and get it taken off...that way I'll be back down to the $1210.65 price + tax, which will put this at just over a $1300 purchase price.

Still a somewhat good deal or should I hold out a little longer and see what I can get on Ebay or Craigslist?

ama_kid said:
Still a somewhat good deal or should I hold out a little longer and see what I can get on Ebay or Craigslist?

I guess that depends on how you value waiting around to save $50-$100 verses having one to play. :)

sbalderrama said:
ama_kid said:

I guess that depends on how you value waiting around to save $50-$100 verses having one to play. :)
Yeah, that's how I'd look at it too. You're basically having it shipped for free, guaranteed in some fashion at least (ie, it ought to be in something approaching new condition). You might be able to find one for a grand plus shipping... sometime... but with uncertainties built into the deal (used, shipping & packing methods, etc.). Getting out of that extra warranty nonsense definitely puts this back in the good deal category.

And I'd easily go $50-$100 or more to have one sooner rather than later in the unclear future.

ama_kid said:
I just talked to my old rep (consiquently, also my local GC's rep) and he stated that because the amp is considered a "C-Code", there is no need to purchase the additional 2 years of warranty. So, when I go in there on the 18th to pick this baby up, I'll pull a little of my weight and get it taken off...that way I'll be back down to the $1210.65 price + tax, which will put this at just over a $1300 purchase price.

What is C-code? If it's brand new in the box and not floor model and you can pick it up then that's a good deal. I'd go for it. Tell the guy that the extra 2 years warranty is a deal breaker and bogus, read the fine prints. I don't know what kind of warranty that is but the Mesa warranty is more than you'd ever need.
I never like buying amp on ebay and have it shipped unless the person has good reputation on board like this.
You're right, up to late last fall, I saw bunch of LSC on local Craiglist but it has been spotty this year. Don't know why.

Back