Love my 5:25 again

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

espresso

Reaction score
I had been falling out of love with my 5:25 lately, it didn't sound good and was seriously considering getting rid of it for something like a Marshall 1974X or Tweed type amp. I then tried another 5:25 and thought it was terrific. I decided to heed the advice from someone on this board (rwil) and switch the power tubes. I was also told at the music store where I bought the amp that for the amount I play I should change my EL84s more often. Anyway, the amp has come back to life!! To make sure it wasn't my imagination I put the old tubes back in and sure enough it sounded dull again.
If your amp is sounding blah and you play everyday and you haven't changed tubes in over a year it may be well worth spending the money on new tubes.

Dan

KDS said:
I really like those 5:25's. The 5W tones are really sweet on those amps.
Congrats on getting your tone back. 8)

Thanks and yes, I love the 5W mode.

Hi Espresso,

Congrats on recovering your tone!

I've owned my 5:25 for about a year now. I continue to really appreciate it, although I go through the occaisional "my tone is terrible" day like the rest of us =^)

I play the amp nearly every day, so I may be in the same boat as you re: needing to consider replacing tubes.

Which tubes did you choose in the end, and why?

thanks!

Hi Steve,

I didn't shop around for other tubes, just replaced mine with Mesa branded ones. What I've been told by several amp techs is that they are of good quality. I was also told that they are higher gain tubes than, say, Groove tubes. I would like to some day experiment with different EL84s but wonder if I would cause any issues with the amp considering it's fixed bias. Please let me know if you know anything about this.

Dan

Latest posts

Back