Loosening up a MARK IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chris_EIT

Reaction score
This isn't a real issue for me I'm just curious what you could possibly do to loosen up a mark IV? I want to try some looser sounds for a Melodic Death metal side project I'm working on. I don't mind my tone for it now but if possible I'd like to try something different tan my regular tone as with my main band.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys!

You can:
1. Scoop the mids on the GEQ.
2. Use recto standard 4x12.
3. Use class A, and push the output until the power amp gets really cooking.

~trem

Cheers guys! The Class A with KT77's actually sounds pretty decent XD
The whole scooping the mids I didn't realise that gave a loose sound I actually quite hate scooping them too much :p
And as for the standard cab :( I need cash, I'm running it through a MArshall 1960A, I know it's a travesty but hey, I'm kinda not making cash right now :p
Cheers guys!

I got rid of my Mark IV coz it was too tight. The Roadster I got to replace it was not overly loose (like some DRs), but now i'm down to only my F-30 combo and it is about in the middle of the two amps in tightness/looseness. Perfect for my style of playing!

TWEED!!!!!

It does it well to.. you will also notice the clean will be nicer and less sterile, and the gain channel's will be smoother and richer...

works well.

Yeh tweed is definitely the way to go. I could never use Full power, too loud :p
Basically I usually play in Pentode, Simul-Class and Tweed. So you say use Class A (KT77 for me) and Triode to losen it up
Cheers guys I'll try it out XD

Try it in class A, triode, harmonics and without the EQ. It wll definately loosen up, and then expiriment with and without tweed. I've found this gives me the best options and is still plenty loud. Another thing is to try it through an open back or 1/2 open cabinet. If a friend doesnt have one go to a music store and run it through a boogie 1X12 cab. /you gain a lot of tightness from those big cabinets. I run the mesa 2X12 1/2 open cabs with my IV.

Any other tips? I can deal with the tightness of the tone, but the tight compressed feel when picking really kills this amp for me. I had been using a carvin legacy for a few years before getting the MarkIV and the Legacy is very open and non-compressed when it comes to the feel of the pick attack and picking dynamics. If there was some way for me to translate the feel of the legacy over to my MarkIV, I'd be a very happy guitarist.

I do have the high gain JJ package, so maybe I could go about finding some lower gain tubes. However, I also have a high gain JJ package in my Legacy as well and the tubes aren't killing the dynamics in that amp.

I use the mark IV in a Lynyrd Skynrd tribute band so with that being said I can assure you it can be achieved! I don't use the "Metallica sound" in my origional band either. There is a lot to consider here such as what pickups you are using, what your settings are. Maybe you should try running simul class as that should loosen up your compression at lower volumes. I dont know how your running your settings but I would try the rock settings in your manual rather than the metal settings. This amp is not easy to dial in but once you do you will enjoy it greatly once you do. I had one years ago and let it go and it still took lots of time and frustration to get it dialed in when I got one recently. I will say that the high gain tubes may not be helping your problem either. I am running stock Boogie tubes and all 6L6's for power. You also might look at running a pair of EL34's in the 1 and 4 soockets to get more of a Marshall tone. Larry Carlton used a IV for a long time playing jazz. Steely Dan's touring guitarist used one. Ed King played one on Skynrd's Tribute tour so it can be done.

chris_EIT said:
This isn't a real issue for me I'm just curious what you could possibly do to loosen up a mark IV? I want to try some looser sounds for a Melodic Death metal side project I'm working on. I don't mind my tone for it now but if possible I'd like to try something different tan my regular tone as with my main band.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers guys!

i have a suggestion. trade me your mark IV for my 3ch Triple Rec :D
nyuck nyuck nyuck

Back