looking foward to buying a rectifier...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ironjose

Reaction score
hey guys... a noob here... but for 2012 i have this resolution for getting me a new amp!!! nad you guess it !!! a mesa boogie rectifer...well last year i went NY i tried a Roadster and i felt in love with... but i want to ask you (the experts in matter) if it is a good choice? or should i be looking elsewhere for example a roadking or a dual or even a triple?
thanks you guys... and bottoms up!!! :mrgreen:

ironjose said:
hey guys... a noob here... but for 2012 i have this resolution for getting me a new amp!!! nad you guess it !!! a mesa boogie rectifer...well last year i went NY i tried a Roadster and i felt in love with... but i want to ask you (the experts in matter) if it is a good choice? or should i be looking elsewhere for example a roadking or a dual or even a triple?
thanks you guys... and bottoms up!!! :mrgreen:
If you need all 4 channels and on-board tube driven spring reverb, and really like the Dual Recto tone a Roadster or RKII V2 is the way to go. If you're good with a reverb pedal in the FX loop and only need the basic 3 Recto channels the new "Reborn" Multi-watt Dual or Triple Recto can't be beat.

IMO don't get the Single Recto as your first Recto, they are good amps but lack the Tube Rectifier option.

If you don't mind a used amp the Trem-O-Verb is an awesome 2 Channel Recto, some say the best of the bunch, and comes with reverb.

lailer75 said:
really depends upon your needs. they are all great amps.
+1

Dom

Haha, TRY THEM ALL!!!

I personally love my Dual Rectifier Rev F and it is one of the best representations I have heard of Recto tone. I also really REALLY like the Reborn, especially for the 50 watt option and the greatly enhanced Clean and Raw tones. There is a greater clarity / updated sound with this version which makes it well worth the investment. Expect a recto tone that can cover many MANY styles.

The Roadster has a Channel 1 and 2 which I really love. Channels 3 and 4 are mean but also quite dark and much phatter sounding. Tremoverbs are also GREAT amps.

Ultimately, get what you want. This will keep you happy.

Secondly, Try out different cabs / speaker combinations. Each cab imparts a very particular flavour upon the recto tone. Personally, I prefer a v30 and a c90 in a 2 x 12 or two of each in a 4 x 12. (This yields a less ice picky tone which enhances the clean and lead tones without detracting from a huge chunky rhythm. I also generally prefer oversized cabs with the exception of a Stiletto cab with four v30s. Alternatively, v30s + G12T 75s sound good /v30s + G12K 100s sound good / v30s + G12H 30s sound good / v30s + G12m 25 (greenbacks) sound good... You get the idea.

Oh, what do you do for playing? Do you gig? If you play in the basement or bedroom most of the time, perhaps you should try the Mini Recto as well. The little lunchbox ehad puts out 10 / 15 watts and costs half as much as its big brothers!!

Don't forget the Mini Rectifier! :mrgreen: The Mini is much more suitable for home use, smaller gigs, and not completely overkill for smaller jobs. Not to mention it's clean channel is amazing for an amp that doesn't have onboard reverb. Let me say that I downsized from a Roadster and much prefer the Minis clean channel to the numerous clean modes of the Roadster (even with the use of Roadster's reverb). In my experience the clean of the Mini smokes any of the regular rectifier cleans while maintaining that signature rectifier high gain tone we all love. Having said that, the Mini is great amp as a whole and my favorite rectifier thus far.

nice tips... and thanks everybody for them...

1- i gig often... record, rehearse and pretty much the whole guacamole... but is not my main job...
2- the only oportunity i had to try the roadster was in ny in 2010 and i felt in love with it!!! too bad i didnt had the chance to try the dual or triple rectos...
3- i was thinking of getting the mini because of its price and i've been reading a lot of great reviews and saying is the holy grail of mini amps but i'm afraid of not cutting into the mix like i normally do...
4- and since i already tried a roadster i'm aware of its versatility and i love it!!!
5- what do yous guys think of the road king!!!

ironjose said:
nice tips... and thanks everybody for them...

1- i gig often... record, rehearse and pretty much the whole guacamole... but is not my main job...

Do you play small clubs or large venues?

2- the only oportunity i had to try the roadster was in ny in 2010 and i felt in love with it!!! too bad i didnt had the chance to try the dual or triple rectos...

Dual / triple rectos are brighter sounding amps while the Roadster is darker. The Roadster also has two excellent clean tones. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbAbCLZrxG8

3- i was thinking of getting the mini because of its price and i've been reading a lot of great reviews and saying is the holy grail of mini amps but i'm afraid of not cutting into the mix like i normally do...

How loud is your drummer? Do you need CLEAN cleans? The clean headroom will be the one area in which the lower power rating may be a problem. If you like squeaky cleans, you may need more power; but if you like the cranked sound of an amp, then this might be just the thing the doctor ordered. Also keep in mind it only has two channels compared to the Roadster's 4.

Gigging with a Dual Rectifier, one never need turn the master over about 9 - 10 o'clock which is really not having the amp put out more than about 10 watts tops. The Mini can put out '25' watts of 'dynawatt power' so it should be able to keep up with most gigging situations. Turning up mids live will help A LOT with cutting. Also, running a 4 x 12 can give you a surprising amount of volume / projection if you require that.

4- and since i already tried a roadster i'm aware of its versatility and i love it!!!

Roadsters are FANTASTIC amps!

5- what do yous guys think of the road king!!!

If you want channel assignable guitar cabinets (close back for crunch and open back for clean), progressive linkage, reverb, etc. they're great. Lots of $$$s to get one though!

I play a Triple and have since the early 90s, I just love them.

I bought a Roadster Combo, I recently sold it, and kept the triple.

It really depends as others have said what you are after.

Roadster 4 channels, Rec 3 channels, I found I didnt need the other channel, I play in a classic rock band and gig anywhere from 6-10 times a year. For the stuff we do, the triple just does it for me. I do use a pedal board with a few effects on it, I dont like an amp with reverb.

There are a lot of used Dual Rec's out there, I would recomend that to start with.

Good Luck

rectifiers are my favorite, you really can't go wrong with any of them amps in the rectifier family. depends on your needs and budget.

rock on, brosefina.

well thanks everyone for your tips and advice...
but the thing is i'm on a budget like everyone else (i guess) but this year like it said i want my mesa and its my only way to go...
so i have to say if i had to choose one today i would probably go with the roadster 4 channels, multiwatt and heavy dark tone... but i've also realize that i dont have 2 grand laying around ... so i guess im going for the mini... at least i going to have a mesa boogie!!!

i'm also going for the mini because of this video... check it out!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkdMmQxEclo&feature=player_embedded

lailer75 said:
really depends upon your needs. they are all great amps.

This.

If you don't need sparkling, 3-dimensional cleans, get a 2 channel Dual or Triple. They're available under $1k if you're patient, and for my money they have a certain rawness and punch that their more elaborate cousins lack. My first real quality tube amp was a rackmount Dual Rectifier (all of which were 2 channel) and I still miss it.

If you can swing it...the Road King II v2 is one big, bad mutha of an amp. Especially if you are recording with it. Fantastic cleans (derived from the Lone Star, sometimes known as the best from Mesa), it takes pedals well, sounds great at non-ear-splitting volumes, and even if you aren't switching/assigning cabinets, the switchable tube configurations and options yield an amazing variety of tones. I've read some people say it's a hard amp to dial-in, etc....but I wouldn't say it's a "hard" amp to dial in...but more than most, just because of all the options at your fingertips. It's a good thing in my opinion. There are a lot of voicings within the RK.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Reviews/2007MP-Roadking/MP-RoadKing07.html

well... i want a road king but i have no freaking money unless i win the lottery... lol...
anyways the mini does it for now... budget, tone, sound... mesa sound, recto tone!!!

I see dual rec heads used regurlary in the 700-900 dollar range, I think that would be a good starting point over the mini.

But thats just me

Keep your eyes open for a while, they pop up all the time.

Ive seen them on Craigslist and Ebay thru the years.

I bought my last Triple for $900 off of my local CL.

I think someone told me that Mini's are in the 1200 to 1300 range, so if you can get a Dual for less than $1000 you will have more versatility, not knocking the Mini, I think they are cool, I did play on one, but I just like the bigger brothers.

Good Luck

so true...
thanks...
yesterday i was looking at the CL and found some dual and triple rects... between 1k and 900... i guess im lucky...or not?
anyways i found a roadster so im going to track the owner and negotiate... hehehe... :roll:

I had a roadster combo for a couple of years, great amp, even more flexible than the Triple.

If you happen to buy it really explore channel two it has this brit mode setting, really crank the gain and bump it in front with a Tube Screamer, you got AC/DC right there, I had a set of EL34s in mine when I sold it and it gave it just a touch more marshall flavor.

But yea if you can get a roadster in your price range you will love it. If you get it, make sure and get a manual even if you have to download it, they have all of these presets of eq and such that will really speed you up on dialing it in.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back