Looking for pics of stripped cabs/combos!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MusicManJP6

Reaction score
Thinking of stripping a combo shell to expose the birch underneath. I know there won't be much figuring, but is it attractive at all under there? Let's see some pics.

I wonder how hard it would be to glue a laminate cover on a cab? It looks pretty good on lower end guitars with laminate flame maple tops. Why not an amp?

ryjan said:
I wonder how hard it would be to glue a laminate cover on a cab? It looks pretty good on lower end guitars with laminate flame maple tops. Why not an amp?

i thought about that too actually...

ryjan said:
How ya gonna wrap all the corners?

Here's a stripped one...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=121202

Not all that attractive.

GD_NC said:
Here's a stripped one...

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?p=121202

Not all that attractive.

Agreed. The edges are not very pretty although the grain on the sides looks decent.

n503424701_1649593_4686685.jpg

n503424701_2132742_1867814.jpg

'77 Mark I 15" - and the refinish was definitely not done recently. Personally I think it looks very nice, but like I said that finish has quite a few years on it (not to mention the age of the wood).

Looks like a really dark stain is the ticket if you are going this route. Don't be scared to re-tolex. It's not that hard. Probably MUCH easier than trying to get the plywood clean enough to stain.

I would say dark stain would be a good idea if you were going down that route. If you want to be really picky with my cab I'm sure it could be a nicer bit of wood, however it's so old and 'vintage-y' now you don't really notice.

A decent stain with wicker gets you most of the way to that classic Boogie look, however it seems the quality of the ply once you strip the tolex is pure luck (from the stripped examples I've seen here and elsewhere, anyway)

Latest posts

Back