looking for audio comparison between 6L6/EL34

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Avery

Reaction score
I've seen a lot of talk about how different one tube is or another, how the 6l6 is like velvet pancakes and the el34 is like warm courduroy peanut butter, but I have yet to see a video comparison, demonstrating in a scientifically quantifiable manner the difference in tone between these tubes.

it would be cool to hear the difference between the three channels with the same settings using the different tubes. or to see the extremes that one can do that the other cannot.

I've made an honest effort to find this, but to no avail. Perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction?

For a Doctor, a quad of EL34's should be chump change. :roll:

I swapped to EL34's in a MKV and a few others have. There is a good bit of it that is feel and responsiveness. You can hear it, my wife could hear the difference from another room when I fired up the amp and started noodling some leads. I record my practicing sometimes and I could tell a slight difference but it did no justice to the sensation when playing it. I got a quad of JJ's pretty cheap.

Good luck on your tone quest.

What he said.

Marks have a very aggressive midrange bite to them, a characteristic that is reinforced by the way EL34s compress and crunch.

"I've seen a lot of talk about how different one tube is or another, how the 6l6 is like velvet pancakes and the el34 is like warm courduroy peanut butter"

Love that description man, now I'm hungry!

I think that both types of tubes have their own sweet properties. I made the switch to the SED EL 34's, and immediately liked them alot. Left em in for a good awhile. Then yesterday, just to see/remind myself what I started out with, I threw the 6L6's back in...and yes, they sounded fresh and oh so good to ma ears as well!

My opinion is that they're both good, and it's merely a thing (for me at least) of which ones your ears happen to be digging that day!

In the end, it's just so cool to be able to have a choice!

Good luck tone tasting!

I'm also interested in trying out EL34's.

When you put the SED EL34's in, do you have to re-bias, or just flip the switch to EL34?

yarzo said:
I'm also interested in trying out EL34's.

When you put the SED EL34's in, do you have to re-bias, or just flip the switch to EL34?

Flip the switch - it could not be easier to make a fundamental difference to your tone, BUT make sure you get a set of matched quads within the amp's bias range. May be easier to try a set of Mesa EL34's if in doubt :mrgreen:

+1 on what everyone is saying. They are both good and both types of power tubes are worth checking out because they have different personalities. Personal preference is what will decide what you end up using. Power tubes and speakers, to me, make the biggest difference in changing your sound on these amps.

the el34's definitely sound a bit more dark. you need to adjust your presence to compensate. i prefer 6l6 in the mark, but the el34's sound amazing, as well.

Both sound very good. I haven't decided which I prefer yet. Had the stock 6L6s in for 9 months, now I have the MB EL34s in for about a month and counting. The nice thing is you have a choice and both choices are good! :wink:

spawnofthesith said:
There are clips of the same riff with both EL34s and 6L6's in this thread over at rig talk http://www.rig-talk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72391

Hope that helps

After sticking SED EL34s in mine, I have never looked back

hey, i posted that here on the boogie board too, ya know!

and if we're talkin' bout the mark V, yer better off with EL34's most likely. but since you have to buy it with 6l6's, you get to try out both!!

and when you're done being lost in the mix with a band, then you will go buy the el34's.

Dr. Avery said:
has anyone seen a clean comparison?

I don't have any clips to share, but in my experience, the difference isn't that noticeable. Some people claim there is a dip in top-end sparkle with the EL34s. There may be, but I still find the cleans to sound just right with the EL34s.

If you find the 6L6's too boomy and harsh, give the el34's a shot. They're alot more tame IMO.

Back