Looking for a good wah pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbone

Reaction score
My old Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 is dead, I'm not married to it and have not purchased a wah pedal in years so I'm open to your input. Whats the best sounding units in your opinion these days.

I'm using a Triaxis/2:90/G-force rig with a Mesa 4X12 Recto cab

I have a 70's era Cry Baby, a Vox, and used a Hammet for a test drive. For a slightly less artificial metal tone, difficult to describe.... A little more of the natural note tone, the Vox higher end pedal is good. Some say it is more 'musical' but that is again very subjective. I like to do the traditional JH type of wah but also like to set it to a spot and slowly move it over a quick pattern, almost like a flanger on slow. The Vox is nowhere near as extreme as the other wah pedals on effecting to tone, but leaves more note intact.

The old Cry Baby is great but I just don't take it anywhere. Unsure of the history of it. Got it from an old friend connected back to some classic rock bands. The new ones have the different pots in them to replicate the old worn out pot taper.

The Hammet and other signature pedals were good, but too strong on the effect for what I wanted (used on clean to light dist).

I have heard good things about the Fulltone but have not found one to play.

At any Guitar Center they will have 10 wahs to test. You may tire of playing before playing them all. Who has the sound you like the best? Do they have a signature pedal?

The nice thing about the Dime Wah is that it has a contour dial, so you can set it for a mellow sweep where the effect is subtle, or a peaked sweep where it kind of 'quacks'. The first is good for guys that play relatively clean, or really like to use the middle regions of their wah. The second is good for guys that are playing funk, or are doing high gain leads and want the toe to heel transition to stand out more.

Additionally, there's a knob that sets how bright it gets in the toe down position, and a knob that allows you to add some clean boost to it.

Last is the Q knob. It lets you go from a bright, cutting wah sound to a dark, throaty wah sound. I find this feature pretty handy. I have mine dialled in as a pretty Cantrell-esque kind of sound, but sometimes I need a bright, more cutting sound so I can just reach down and change Qs and it's like I have a whole new wah.

I have a Fulltone Clyde Deluxe as well. I think it's a nice wah. Very clear sounding. However I sold it in favour of my Dime wah. It ships today.

my Budda Wah, is my favorite wah to date.

i've been demo'ing and owning wahs, since 1975.

they all sound/feel different, so really, you just gotta try A LOT of them to decide.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, this will give me a place to start.
I use wah mostly for lead voicings in high gain with my bridge pup as opposed to funky clean rhythm work. But somethng versatile is allways good. I'll check a few out soon at the store.

dbone

here's a clip, that shows an example of high gain SOLO on a bridge pickup thru a BUDDA BUD-WAH.

http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/71027-JUSTWALKEDAWAY.mp3

Ive been loving myRMC3 since around 99. Ive bought and sold many other wahs since then. None have bumped the RMC3

I love the CAE wah....really really versatille and great sounding.
The budwah also very cool!
is you dont hae the money fet a crybaby and do some mods (truebypass,LED,red/yellow inductor).

I'm hunting for a new Wha at the moment and came across the RMC web site. From what I can tell they only do Wha pedals and have quite a few models to cover most areas. I want a classic sound like Hendrix and Clapton so I will probably get the picture model.

The sound clips on their site are some of the best demos I have heard too, check them out.

Just thought I'd let you guys know I picked up a dime bag wah today.
Only spent about a half hour playin with it tonight but initial results were positive and it's got some nice options for tweaking the settings, thanks for your input. I'll let you know more as I get it dialed.

Latest posts

Back