Looking at getting a Rectifier or a Mark V...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cml619

Reaction score
I used to own a Diezel Herbert which I recently sold. I also owned a Road King II that I sold for the Herbert because I didn't need everything it had to offer. But now the time has come to get another amp, and I find myself looking at the Roadster, 3 ch Dual Rec, 2 ch Rec and Mark V. Not sure which route to go, but in short, I want something that has great classic/hard rock tones and also a good metal tone when I do play it. Clean is important but it doesn't have to be crystal clear, I always have some dirt on my cleans anyways.

I have played a Mark V in the past and did not fall in love with Ch 2 for what I needed it for and felt it lacked a bit of bottom end, BUT, it was in a combo. For reference, I just came across this and this has to be one of my favorite metal tones I've heard:
http://netmusicians.org/?section=id&value=8983

Anyone got any advice or suggestions of what route I should take?

For pure versatility, the Mark V..with a Port City or Orange 4x12 cab...hands down. Best tones everrrrrrr. Never look back.

Not sure. Sounds like most the current lineup would fit your bill. It basically comes down to different voicings and feel really. Oh, the Mark V will sound bigger through a 4X12 cab no doubt...

The Rectifier series and Mark series amps are two completely different animals, it's apples to oranges. I own both, love both their tones, but use the Roadster for my "A" rig as I prefer that thick, chewy low mid bark and aggressive nature only a Recto can deliver.

It's really a matter of personal preference. Neither amp is "better" than the other, just different. If you owned a RKII you already know what the Roadster will give you, you should spend more time with a MKV, then decide which is the right fit FOR YOU.

Dom

Thanks for the info so far guys. My RK II at the time did not sound relatively close to the Roadsters and normal Rectos I played, definitely more refined and mellow which at the time I wanted but now it isn't as important. I am just not sure if the Mark V can really get that "huge" sounding tone that the Recto gets, and I thought that clip kind of showed what I want. Maybe with a boost it would.

You could pull off that clips sound with a MKV, but...

The MKV will never sound or feel "huge" like a Recto, I don't care what you do with a boost, OD, EQ, pixie dust, etc.

IMO, for the style of music/tone in that clip my first choice would be the new Multi-Watt Dual Recto.

Dom

cml619 said:
Thanks for the info so far guys. My RK II at the time did not sound relatively close to the Roadsters and normal Rectos I played, definitely more refined and mellow which at the time I wanted but now it isn't as important. I am just not sure if the Mark V can really get that "huge" sounding tone that the Recto gets, and I thought that clip kind of showed what I want. Maybe with a boost it would.

Mark's don't sound "huge" in the way a Recto does. The Recto has a slower response that kind of stretches things out and makes it sound bigger.

Mark's tend to sound thinner at low volumes, then get bigger and more massive sounding as the volume increases. Once you get them set up right they can actually have more bottom end than a Recto, but they have so much midrange that it doesn't sound like it has as much bottom end.

Boosting an amp thins it out. Not exactly sure how you figure boosting a Mark will make it sound bigger.

I played the Reborn Triple and the Mark V and much preferred the Reborn but I think there was something wrong with the Mark V because it sounded absolutely awful no matter how it was EQ'd.

cml619 said:
I played the Reborn Triple and the Mark V and much preferred the Reborn but I think there was something wrong with the Mark V because it sounded absolutely awful no matter how it was EQ'd.

I not only preferred the "Reborn", I bought one. I was able to get a great sound out of the Mark V, but it still took MUCH longer to set up the tones I liked. It's all about getting that graphic eq dialed in properly.

Took all of 5 minutes to get a sound I could use (and did use) on stage with the "Reborn".

domct203 said:
Where did you play the MKV? Was it a combo?

I'm surprised to hear the MKV described as "awful". What exactly was "awful" about it?

Dom
It was a head and was in the loud room of Guitar Center. I think it was an older one and has been there a while. Anyways, any way the high end was set it was very piercing and harsh, especially with Variac on Ch. 2, Ch. 1 the cleans were so flat and had no punch or character, they sounded pretty generic. Ch. 3 was a bit better but still didnt sound that great.

I might just buy the first I find whether it me a Mark or Recto and put it through my own paces and then sell it off and get the other if I can't make it work.

cml619 said:
It was a head and was in the loud room of Guitar Center. I think it was an older one and has been there a while. Anyways, any way the high end was set it was very piercing and harsh, especially with Variac on Ch. 2, Ch. 1 the cleans were so flat and had no punch or character, they sounded pretty generic. Ch. 3 was a bit better but still didnt sound that great.

Double check the rear and make sure the FX loop send knob isn't maxed out. I bumped mine once when moving it and the resulting tone sounded similar to your description.

Back