Looking at 2X12 cabinets....comments please...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steveda

Reaction score
Hi all. I am looking at getting a new 212 cabinet for my DR 3 channel head. I am either looking at the normal 212 mesa cab or the Genz Benz Gflex 212. I haven't heard much of either one, however I have heard one of the g-flex's in action with a Peavey XXX head and it did sound pretty good.

Anyone have either speaker or heard either one? They are close in price. I believe the Mesa is $599 and the Genz=Benz is $549.

Please give me any comments on either or both cabs? Thank you.

Steve.

I love my Gflex 2x12.

With that said, I hate it with my 3ch Dual Rec.

It worked pretty well with my Tremoverb I had. It works well with the 5150 I have. With the 3ch DR it has a brightness and harshness that just can not be dialed out.
I think most would agree the Gflex pushes some serious bass, but it is also bright on the high end.

I tried for the longest time, years, to find the 2 X 12 that got me enough of the 4 x 12 sound. FOUR 2 X 12 cabs later, each with different speakers, I have a clear opinion...

Nothing brought the same balance across the EQ spectrum even if it had more bass/thump/sludge than most 4 X 12 cabs it sounded too much of one thing.

I gave up on 2 x 12's.

If the gig is worth my time its worth lugging a bigger cab even if I'm not going to need the volume power - and the 4 X 12's are actually easier to get around on wheels too.

Don't hate me for saying it - this was hard won, non-free knowledge that cost time and trial to discover and accept. Trying to save others the hassle.

Best of luck whatever you decide.

-Paul

Back