LoneStar Special-- Users Need Your Help !!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woody

Reaction score
OK
Saturday! I went into town to test drive a LoneStar Special! This amp is amazing, the tone I got out of this amp is the best i have ever heard with my 56 goldtop with p-90 pups. I didn't buy it because I need some advice from lonestar users. The one I played in the store was a 1x12 combo, I really would rather have the 2x12 combo. With the 2x12 combo does it sound fuller than the 1x12 combo sound wise ? I will be gigging with this amp and how dose this stand up ?? If I find a used one is there anything that I should be on the look out for that I might want to avoid?
thanks

Agree with Rocksoff...go with the 2x12. I A/B'd the 1x12 and 2x12 and love the big sound of the 2x12.

I love the sound of 2x12 but dam is it heavy, prob build up your arms (or throw out your back) lifting that thing if you gig often.

If you like the LSS 2/12, get it, and accessorize it with an inexpensive dolly and tiedown straps, seriously! Much easier to move heavy gear. Other band members would appreciate the dolly as well if you're currently gigging. You only have one back... :wink: And the dolly can be used for moving other heavy things around the house as needed.

Several members posting here have had a problem with the LSS Achille's heel, burning up the modern production 5y3 rectifier tubes. Hopefully by now the factory mod Mesa came up with to fix it is incorporated into current production to help with this issue. There are threads in the tubes section containing user-friendly, workable solutions. :)

Peace.

MopHead said:
I love the sound of 2x12 but dam is it heavy, prob build up your arms (or throw out your back) lifting that thing if you gig often.

@50..........the 1X12 spoke volumes to me!!!
It's actually my first ever 1 X 12 combo over all 2 X 12's, (was that redundant?...Charles?).

You can always get the 1x12 and order another 1x12 cab like I did. More sound/tone, and some nice sound seperation.

SabuJSE said:
You can always get the 1x12 and order another 1x12 cab like I did. More sound/tone, and some nice sound seperation.

lightbulb_small.gif
how much does the second cabinet go for? If I may ask.

I would go head and 2x12" cab as well. More combination possibilities in the future, it'll be much easier to move around and it'll look cooler. 8)

212cl_w1w8t.jpg

head and 2x12 cab, your back will appreciated it. Cost less than a back surgery later. Depends on how often you gig'ed of course.

The only difference in the lonestar specials 1x12 compared to the 2x12 is the weight of the Amp?? There's really no sound difference?--Humm --Sound like you rockers are telling me to go with the 2x12 combo!! I might haft to wait, but the 2x12 is what I'm looking for. If I could find a Head and 2x12 cabinet that would awesome rig and that would take some awesome cash LOL. Do any of you lonestar owners use a Ts9 pedal? If so how does it mesh with the lonestar special. I'm not really a pedal user but if I need to dial it up a notch for a song will this work?

Have ya considered a 4-10? I have one and like it a lot. The 10" speakers have a sparkle that the 12's can't match. THe 4-10 cab weighs the same as the 2-12 cab.

JMHO,

TW

twally said:
Have ya considered a 4-10? I have one and like it a lot. The 10" speakers have a sparkle that the 12's can't match. THe 4-10 cab weighs the same as the 2-12 cab.

JMHO,

TW
I see that there's one on eBay right now but they look kind of big.

woody said:
The only difference in the lonestar specials 1x12 compared to the 2x12 is the weight of the Amp?? There's really no sound difference?--Humm --Sound like you rockers are telling me to go with the 2x12 combo!! I might haft to wait, but the 2x12 is what I'm looking for. If I could find a Head and 2x12 cabinet that would awesome rig and that would take some awesome cash LOL. Do any of you lonestar owners use a Ts9 pedal? If so how does it mesh with the lonestar special. I'm not really a pedal user but if I need to dial it up a notch for a song will this work?
As w/ any 1x12 vs 2x12 open back, the 2x12 will sound more open, 3D, more perceived volume. The 1x12 sound directional and boxy.
If you're looking for boost, no pedal is needed. Use pedal if you're looking for a certain tone. It doesn't do nu metal. I always use a ts808 with my strat, so I suspect the ts9 will work fine. I don't like the drive, it sounds grainy and buzzy to me so it stays off but there if you need more gain.
A 1x12 combo and a 1x2 cab is also an exellent option. Take both to big gig, take the combo to small gig.

Ok
For classic rock( skynyrd,black crows,srv,kenny wayne shappard,zz top,and some rocked up country would this lonestar special be the ticket? I have played this with my R6 goldtop Gibson and I really liked what i heard, But that was in the store. I really don't know what the sound would be like with a 2x12 combo. Everyone on here says go with the 2x12 combo. humm to many choices lol

I did a fair bit of research when I bought my LSS, including contacting one of the folks at Mesa. The opinion of that person was that the LSS was 'voiced' for the single 12, so if you like that sound, you are getting what they planned.

In reality, people have different needs. Some will want the 4X10's moving a lot of air and I would imagine leaning more towards a Fender Super Reverb which has a similar speaker compliment. I think the 2x12's give you a similar sound to the single 12...just more of it; which I imagine is sort of the obvious.

I bought the 1x12 and am happy with the weight which is manageable at about 70# (Mine is a widebody single 12 so it is a little heavier than the standard single). I agree with folk who say 2x12 will be a load moving it around.

I used the savings to get a Congac Lizard custom finish. The look is killer and I am just fine with the sound and loudness of the 1X12.

If you have the $$$, I highly recommend looking at the finishes on the Mesa website which show many finishes by model. Look at the Stiletto combos and the Lonestar Classics as they are the same cabinet.

If money is no object...head and 2X12 cab with custom finish. It'll be like your own custom artwork. No regrets.

Last thing...I would suggest you try the Lonestar Classic with 10/50/100 watt settings. You may find that the 10 watt setting gives you a lot of what you like about the LSS and the 50/100 gives you way more clean headroom. The LSC that was out when I chose was only two wattages, 50/100 and that did not satisfy the ground the LSS owns.

Good luck!

I have a 1x12 LSS, and I'm plenty satisfied. I have used it at a large outdoor venue, we miked it and had no problems w/volume. I also played a fender 50 watt 4x10 at the same time. ( I like two amps simultaniusly). I tend to like amps in the 35- 50 watt range, as they will get good tube saturation and not have to turn up too loud. The Fender is large and heavy. I recently replaced it w/ a Rivera Venus-6.
I now run it along side the LSS. They compliment each other nicely, although the Rivera is still heavy, it has more features than the Fender, and is smaller. I use to play only 2x12's 80 - 100 watts but I couldn't be more satisfied. I even considered a cab for the LSS , but ...it's just more to hook up and haul around. Does it really make that much difference? I don't think anyone in the audiance could tell. I don't really know what I'm trying to say except that maybe sometimes...less is more. I think you'll be satisfied no matter which way you go....

Latest posts

Back