lonestar special monophonic tube(s) just bought 5 jj telsa

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zeemo

Reaction score
This is also posted in my original thread about a high pitched sqealing with the lonestar special, (modern era amps 1991 - present) but I thought I should post here also.........

Well.... I just bought a set of five JJ tesla 12ax7 s.
This is the type I bought for my F30 when I had a similar problem, (although the symptoms were not the same) they seem to work well, and was a vast improvement over the sound of the F30. I went to the eurotube website and read up on the ones they sell etc. and the different designs.....also I read about jj electronics and they seem to be in the know as far as making quality tubes.
I don't really understand what they mean when they are talking tubes running 'hot' or 'cold' as far as how it relates to bias etc. (actually I dont really understand what bias / fixed bias is) and what the difference is ....
funny thing the F30 had "russian #2" mesa 12ax7 s, and the lonestar had "chinese #1" s just by ignorant hearsay, I would expect that the russian variety would be a better tube......if that's the case, then why would they put a 'lesser' tube in a higher quality / cost amplifier??

anyone have any experience with these jj tesla tube in a lonestar special specifically ??

Thanks again in advance you guys.

Z

I read an article in the Vacuum Tube Valley magazine where they did a tube shoot out with choice vintage tubes and some newer stuff. The Chinese tube did really well, beat some of the vintage Mullard tubes for instance. The Russian tubes at the time did not fare so well, I think the new Russian tubes are much improved but maybe the Chinese have improved theirs as well? Sorry, never tried the JJs, got a box full of RCA 7025s and Amperexes and stuff to get through first :D :D :D

Well, problem solved. a bad preamp tube it was indeed !

I had four 12ax7 s that I had replaced on my F-30 (mesa) amp, and kept as spares.

So anyway, I read the manual and going by the symptoms (it was NOT channel specific after all) The high pitched ringing was happening in both channels, so it either had to be V5, which controls phase inverter / driver for both channels, or it was V1 which controls Channel 2 drive stage and input gain stage (for both channels)

It was V1 . No more monophonics.

Just thought I'd share..........

Thanks for your replies. Now I can continue on to enjoy this tone monster !

Later.

Z

BTW, the JJs suck in the LSC. I put them in there and the amp was dark as hell -- like the other side of the moon :shock:

Put back the Mesa tubes...and am happy again.

jazz, thanks for the encouraging news :roll: :cry:

Well, I suppose if I don't like em.... I'll throw the originals back in, now that I have the monophonic tube gone, it sounds pretty good, but I haven't really been able to play with it enough to get actual practice / gigging volume /channels set up yet.

looking forward to experimenting with the tones. :D
Maybe I'll like em .... it's subjective. everyones ears are different. :wink:

I'll post back.

Later,
Z

Jazz

they seem pretty good to me.... not alot of difference from the way the originals sound.
getting a bit more f/b and sustain, but I've only been playing them about a 1/2 hour need to break em in.....

dont notice them to be the dark side of moon as you say. but again. everyone 's ears are different.

I'll post back

Zeemo

Back