Lonestar Special 1x12 vs 2x12?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabidinus

Reaction score
Am thinking of getting a Lonestar Special 1x12 but would have to wait 60-90 days due to backorder. I can purchase a 2x12 combo now. Would like to hear from any LSS owners of either on why they picked their particular combos. Especially would like to hear from 2x12 owners about their experiences with the 2x12.

Thanks!
raf

Well, I don't have a LSS but I do have a LSC. I really wanted a 2x 12, but when played side by side the 1 x 12 sounded more responsive and just all around better to me. So I bought a 1 x 12 and a 1 x 12 extension cab. I am really happy with the way this vertical 2 x 12 sounds.

I thought about this same thing...and ended up with a 2x12. Any 1x12 is going to seem more focused as you're not going to hear any of the freq cancellation you get with multiple speakers. That said, the 2x12 for me was a much fuller sound. I'm extremely happy with it. I debated getting a head and 2x12 cab, but I don't need to move it around too much, so I got the combo as it was cheaper and more available.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses. Was going to wait till Sunday to try out the 2x12, but I think I'll head out tonight after work and check it out - getting Boogie fever...

Only 14 pound difference between the two and it seems the 2x12 would offer a simpler approuch to gigging, don't have to think about taking another cab or not...no choice!

I am kind of concerned the 2x12 will be too loud for small clubs...anybody using the 2x12 in a small club or tight envioroment?

You do realize you have 3 power options.....you could just run it in 5 watt mode in smaller clubs.

I don't think you'll have a problem -- the clean headroom in the LSS is not that high anyway.

i use a lss 2x12 for clubs and bars and small gigs as well as outside gigs in the summer this amp was made for these types of gigs i'm a 2x12 guy i know theres a lot of guys like 1x12 thats fair but for me a 2x12 has more air and a fuller sound and you would think you where playing a 100 watt amp not a 30 watt amp.

Excellent info on the 2x12! Nothing like some oomph!!!

I am concerned about volume because Mesa's are LOUD. I have a Mark II C+ I almost always run on the 15 watt setting. Not THAT concerned, but with two twelves I thought it might lean towards overbearing in small clubs.

Thanks!

Hi All I took the 112 combo,
A, it was a special edition at the store i shop at, B, i like the size and weight of the cab. I swapped out for an Eminence red fag and havent looked back since.
SD

And you can always get a 1x12 cab to add to the 1x12 combo... that worked for me...

nosajwp,
Is that question directed at me about the 2x12 that didn't work out? The 2x12 was at the Guitar Center on Anderson Lane in Austin, Tx.

I can't find an LSS in Austin! LOL!

rabidinus said:
Excellent info on the 2x12! Nothing like some oomph!!!

I am concerned about volume because Mesa's are LOUD. I have a Mark II C+ I almost always run on the 15 watt setting. Not THAT concerned, but with two twelves I thought it might lean towards overbearing in small clubs.

Thanks!

I have a 1x12-See :D

Right now i have a broken in Vintage30 inside because the 60watter suites me better than the stock 90. I also changed the power tubes to TAD and still have the original preamperrs in.

But here is the kicker -I just got a EH Graphic Fuzz and it was just made for this amp, basically i am allways using it and i get sounds out of this amp that are incredible.

The EQ and the dist get you SRV easily to Brian May, the best part is that i can now use my Ibanez JS1200 and it sounds **** in 5w mode i get harmonics that are off the wall great. The EQ is real sensitive good for scooped chugging.

Last night i played for hours with another guitarist and a drummer-used 5-15 and 30 watt cranked up then came home and played till 5am with my landlord sleeping above me- the EH pedal is the ****, i also got a hum debugger and no hum from strat singles anymore, i cant tell any diff, w\ it engaged or not.

Everyone seems to like the Red Fang which will be sweeter sounding than the V30, so sometime dwn the line i will swap or get another cab.

FWIW - I have a LSS 1X12 I used for small club gigging on 15W with a Carvin 8 ohm 2X12 cab (Carvin Greenback clones inside, I believe) to push more air and allow my sound to be more evenly distributed using just stage volume. Trick is to use a 4 ohm THD HotPlate which does the attenuation job quite nicely and lets the tubes breath harder at low volumes (run the 8 ohm cab into the HP in parallel with the 8 ohm internal LSS speaker and get a 4 ohm load, which matches the LSS output impedance). I got the HP for about $150 used on eBay. Also use an 8 ohm HP for my LSC for larger venues, also works out very well.

Thanks for the replies. Inventive stuff. The hotplate sounds interesting. There's a store here in Austin that says they sell them. I'll have to check it out.

rabidinus, where are you shopping in Austin? Curious as I used to live there (and my brother still does). Heading into town for SXSW this year. :D

The only shops carrying Mesa are Guitar Center North (on Anderson at the North Cross Mall) and MusicMakers on South Lamar. They both are focusing more on the Recto/Roadster amps.

The hot plates are sold at Guitar Rez on Lamar.

Man, I haven't had the chance to get to SXSW in a while. I work 12 hour shifts during that time now. Played it once. Lots of fun. Incredible charge to just have dozens of bands all over the place to check out at once.

Got to see Morphine, miss that band...
At one show as I was listening to a band, I happened to look next to me and there was Adrian Belew! He wasn't playing, just checking out SXSW with the rest of us!

Where do you live now simonich? Are you playing SXSW?

Living in Portland, OR now. Nope, not playing SXSW, just taking in the sights/sounds. I'll play with a few friends that live in the area while i'm down there though. One buddy has a pretty nice studio and tons of gear. Makes it easy to get my fix. :lol:

Latest posts

Back