Lonestar classic with EL34 tubes?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfman

Reaction score
Hi, Anyone have any experience with EL34 tubes in the Lonestar classic? Any thoughts on the sound? Apprectiate it.

the topic has been kicked around a couple times before in different posts. my take on it is that it's subjective: great for some, not for others.

...tightens the low end but saps the sweetness from the upper registers. Good if you want to rock a little harder.

wolfman said:
Hi, Anyone have any experience with EL34 tubes in the Lonestar classic? Any thoughts on the sound? Apprectiate it.

Used to run EL34s in the LSC when I had one. It brightened up the amp across the board and made Channel 2 a bit less muddy; but nothing extreme. I probably should have done Reeder Mod 1 (pot swap) before I sold it. Probably would have kept it. Wound up trading it to another BB Member (Nick - nremondelli) for his LSS combo (and then did the Reeder mod on it). Been happy with the LSS overall.

Matt

I just placed EL-34 in one of my Lonestar Classics. I compared the 2 sounds (LSC with 6L6 vs. LSC with EL-34s) and it is very similar sounding to the 6L6s, however you will get a little tighter sound. Nothing drastic.

It will be more noticable when using channel 2 and gain and drive between 12-3 oclock. I was really blown away by the sound. I'm very picky about tone and now I'm thinking about putting EL-34s in my Lonestar Classic head as well. It is not the sound of a Stiletto. It is still very warm sounding and very nice tone to it. I would say, try it and hear for yourself. Peace, -G. :wink:

I tried it (JJ E34Ls actually which add a bit tighter low end). With a Les Paul I just struggle with two much mid range and couldn't seem to dial it out for some of the gigs I was doing. I really feel this amp is made for 6L6s, especially if you play humbucker guitars. Going with a higher end tube like JJs will help tighten the low end. I really love the tight, even and glassy, but wooden sound I get now. No problem with gain either.

Mark

Have you tried Reeder mode #1 (pot swap). It seems to make somewhat of a difference. Easy to do and equally easy to reverse if you're unhappy with it.

Matt

mdortona said:
Have you tried Reeder mode #1 (pot swap). It seems to make somewhat of a difference. Easy to do and equally easy to reverse if you're unhappy with it.

Matt

Haven't. Think about it occasionally, but seem to have found the mojo by dropping my gain way down and cranking the drive. It changes the amp. On the other hand, my issue with E34Ls was more with channel 1 really. It just never had the sparkle, even with the mids dropped and the treble up fairly high. It was really evident in some band situations and on some stages. Changing back to 6L6s solved the problem. The low end flabbiness was also fixed by not using Mesa tubes.

Latest posts

Back