Lone Star's tone has really settled in...

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lone Star State

Reaction score
I don't know if it's the result of the speakers breaking in, or recently re-tubing with JJs, or just a general "settling in" of my amp as a whole, but the tone seems to have gotten even better. I really noticed it about three weeks ago at an outside party I played at. I was able to really dial in the tone easily and guys were coming over & complimenting the sound a lot.
Then, last night at band practice - the same thing: it sounded awesome; the tone had mellowed it seems, over time. Man, it sounded sweet.
You know, when you're actually consciousely aware that your amp sounds great? That's what it was.
I'm liking this amp more & more.

LSS

NOTHING BETTER THAN THAT! IT'S THE BEST!

WHICH LONE STAR ARE YOU RUNNING? LSC OR LSS?

HOW LONG HAVE YOU HAD IT?

BOB M.

I JUST PICKED UP THE CLASSIC 112 LAST WEEK. CAN'T TELL YOU HOW MUCH I LOVE IT. JUST GOT A NEW TAYLOR T5 KOA TOP TODAY. (WAITED OVER 3 MONTHS FOR IT) RAN IT THROUGH THE LSC. DIDN'T HAVE A CHANCE TO REALLY "DIAL" THINGS IN YET. (THE AMP WAS SET UP FOR SOLID BODY HH) AND IT SOUNDED EXCELLENT. I'M NOT A "PRO" LIKE MOST OF YOU GUYS ON THE BOARD BUT THIS AMP HAS THE SOUND THAT I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR, FOR A LONG TIME. I'M WONDERING
IF ANYONE HAS TRIED IT WITH THE 6V6's YET. JUST CURIOUS.

I WAS GLAD TO HEAR YOU'RE LOV'N THE AMP AFTER 6 MONTHS. I MADE A BIG MISTAKE WITH AN AMP AND REALIZED IT AFTER A COUPLE OF WEEKS. (DIDN'T HAVE THE GUTS TO TELL MY WIFE THAT I SCREWED UP) WAITED 9 MONTHS, BIT THE BULLET AND TRADED IT IN FOR THE LSC.
LIKE I SAID IN ONE OF MY POSTINGS, BEST MONEY I EVER LOST.

WHAT STYLE OF MUSIC DO YOU PLAY? HOW DO YOU RUN YOU AMP?
100W/ 50W? FULL / TWEED? I JUST LIKE TO SEE HOW OTHER GUYS DIAL IN THEIR LSC. I KNOW YOUR 2x12 HAS MORE "BALLS" THAN THE 1x12.
JUST CURIOUS HOW YOU RUN IT.

ENJOY, PLAY WELL
BOB M.

Lone Star State

Not to hijack your thread but I noticed that you're in Chico. I'll be playing there early in December at the brewery for some private thing. Any live music clubs to check out after the gig. I think we'll be done around 11:00.

Chris... 8)

Old-Guy-

Please take you caps lock off. On the Internet caps is the equivelant of yelling.

Ned

LSS,

I have noticed the same thing with almost all my tube amps. After some months of playing and putting a load on the tubes and letting the speakers vibrate the overall tone seems to improve, or at least coallesce like all the parts are starting to work together.

there seems to be something common here. My Martin acoustic gets better each time I play it and make the top vibrate. My Les Paul gets better too. Maybe it is things drying out or the vibrations of the music slightly altering the wood and speaker fiber or the heat on the tubes letting the metal break in but, there is a real break in.

My LS Classic seems to improve with age. I know it's not my playing!

ned said:
Old-Guy-

Please take you caps lock off. On the Internet caps is the equivelant of yelling.

Ned
Thanks Old-Guy, I had to turn down my hearing aid reading your post :evil:

cnumb44 said:
... letting the speakers vibrate the overall tone seems to improve, or at least coallesce like all the parts are starting to work together.
That's not a myth, I visit Weber Speakers bulliten boards and they mention that speakers need a breaking in period. They even sell speakers that uses less doping so they sound like broken in.

I notice another post about LoneStar Classic (EL84s) discussing about turning off the fan or leaving it on. Mark Sampson founder of Matchless and now has his own company Bad Cat and to me is the guru on AC30 Vox design / mods claims that it takes a half hour before an EL84s amp starts cooking (sounding great). He claims there's this characteristic about EL84s when they are nice and hot and warmed up. No wonder if turning off the fan would warm them up faster? Just a thought.

[Note] cnumb44, oh you mentioned having Silver Bell Webers so you do visit the Weber bullliten board site.

RR, not to hijack the thread, but although I've been to the Webersite, I haven't spent any time on the bulletin board. I like Ted's speakers his attenuators and the openness he has for other competitiors and his own knowledge.

The comment from Sampson. When I had a Fender Blues Junior their bulletin board notes commented frequently that the el84s were fixed biased by Fender to run hot. That makes sense now that I've hear what Sampson said.

That said, I love guitars (acoustic or electric) and tube amps because the good ones only get better with use and age.

Latest posts

Back