Lone Star

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Nomad, how often are you planing on swaping the tubes, from 6L6 to EL34 back and forth, and how safe it is to do that constantly.

Right now I'm in the middle of a dilema. I bought my Mesa LS, but I had to sell my Vibro King for this, and it was a good change, I love the Lonestar. But before buying this amp, I was planning on buying also a Peavey JSX, you know, it has a rich EL34 british sound, classic and ala Satriani.
But at the same time now I think, that may be it'll be a better option to have another LS with EL34 permanently, besides my 6L6 LS, instead of having to swap tubes constantly.
I really would like to hear oppinions about this.

Its real easy to swap tubes.

You must flip the tube selection switch on the back of the amp though.

It is clearly marked 6L6 or EL34 you dont want to get that bacvkwards.

I prefer the LS with the EL34's and it seems to do a fine clean sound with em.

As far as buying another the mare the merrier.

I was planning on buying also a Peavey JSX, you know, it has a rich EL34 british sound, classic and ala Satriani.

I tried out the Peavy Satriani and that was a great amp, but I think the L.S was a little better.

OK Guys, here's the deal .... since I'm not going to be switching tubes on my LS back and forth from 6L6 to EL34, and I want to replace my Marshall TSL 100 head, here are my options:

- Peavey JSX.
- Lonestar with EL34.
- Mesa Stiletto Deuce.

I need some help here, any oppinions of the Marshall sound against the amps above will be appreciated, thanks.

:D

Lonestar with EL34's.

I havent played the Stilleto but 150 watts is to much.

I wouldnt want a PV.

Nomad said:
Lonestar with EL34's.

I havent played the Stilleto but 150 watts is to much.

I wouldnt want a PV.

There's the Stiletto 100 watts, with a 50 watts switch, controls very similar to the LS. I called mesa boogie, they tell me that although the LS can have EL34's, it's not exactly designed to accommodate all the tube features, the Stiletto it's designed around the EL34 and no chance to install the 6L6, it is a very closed design. So I guess it's one for the other.
:)

According to what I've read in Mesa's literature. They dont recomend using the EL34 because there arent any reliable new Production EL34's currently manufactured. According to them.

As far as an amp desinged around a power tube well all it takse is a resistor and the Stilleto is desinged around a 6L6 its that simple. Now there are amps that dont have big enuff Power and Output Trannies that run 6L6's that wont stand up to running EL34's. Its real easy to go from one tube to another with just a bias as long as the Trannies will stand for it.

I majorly disagree that the Lonestar was desinged around 6L6's. Then why did they make it able to run 6V6's and EL34's? And why is that amp with 6L6's so freakin Bass Heavey. I'm not complaing but I think you could put 6550's in it and use it for a Bass AMP.

I know that my Lonestar being in the widebody combo cab 1x12 is part of the Bass Response but it just too much IMO. When I stuck the EL34's in it the Bass Heavyness went away. So to me this amp was made for EL34's and not 6L6's.

Not trying to be argumentative just depends on your perspective.

With the 6L6's in mine I **** near have to turn the Bass off in Channel 2.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another. I'm sure the Stilleto is a great amp.

That is the thing about Boggie sometimes that I dont like. They can get a bit to busy with some of the desings. To many bells and whistles.

I know you have to please the masses but there are many things about the Lonestar I would change. I would completely do away with the Drive circuit on channel two. For one reason its too noisy. The second thing is give the option of no FX Loop. There are still many of ust out there who dont use outboard gear. The third is no footswitchable Boost/ Solo. Because the High Gain settings are so noisey I cant really use that feature either.

I just have to set the second Channel for good crunch then step on a pedal for solos. So now I have an amp with three knobs I dont need that would be better served not in it.

The last couple of features are fully defeatable so I shouldnt gripe and I absolutley love this amp. So I'm not trashing it. With Channel One set for Pristine Clean and Channel Two set for Crunch City. I've not ever had an amp that does both the Blackface Clean and Marshal Crunch better than this amp. Then step on a pedal and go for the Stratusphere.

Now I'm sure the Stilleto is a dang fine amp but I just dont think 150 watts would be a Feature for me. I know its switchable but I believe at full power it was 150. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I see whtf. The Stilleto Deuce is 50/100 watts and the Stilleto Trident is 50/150watts.

I'll get it straight in a momento.

OK Guys, in any case, I'm not gettign rid of the Marshall TSL, I've read oppinions about it, and it just needs new tubes, I'll do that. But still want to search for complementary sounds, and get a new amp, but not Marshall brand, it's either Mesa or Peavey. Please continue sending me oppinioins about them, I'm still looking for a Mesa Stiletto Deuce to try it. I guess that on the Paevey JSX, I can trust on MF return policy. 8)

just have to set the second Channel for good crunch then step on a pedal for solos. So now I have an amp with three knobs I dont need that would be better served not in it

Thats just what I'm doing on my Lonestar head. I don't use the gain switch. Have you noticed when you do that, the dirty channel warms up a bit? It doesnt have quite the harshness when the gain is activated.

I got yesterday a set of Svetlana EL34's, so I went to replace the tubes on my Lonestar, and give it a try. :D

I started testing at 50 watts, on the clean channel, it felt really really good, I loved it.

The I went to the 2nd channel, and it was good, but not exactly what I expected or wanted. I tried a lot of different settings, and found a lot of different useful tones, but not the ones in my head.

Then I remebered what Nomad said once, and went and change the rectifier to solid state and 100 watts. I believe this is the best sound for the EL34's from them all. Nice clean channel and the 2nd channel went pretty hot, I set the "Loop in" and control around 12 o'clock, I got a lot of really cool sounds, but still not what I'm after, but I'll keep inmind in my bag of tricks . 8)

The amp is going back to the 6L6's , which I love the most in this amp. So right now my desicion is between a Stiletto Deuce or a JSX, and I think the Stiletto has better features, just with the 50/100 watts, 2 channels and 3 options on every channel, makes it killer. so we'll see 8)

Latest posts

Back