Lone Star

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nomad

Reaction score
Just picked a white one up at GC. 1X12 Combo widebody.

This thing rocks and has a bunch of freakin features but is still simple to use. They must have racked thier brains on this one.

Does any one know what all the wattage outputs are for this amp with different tubes, rectifers and the Tweed switch.

I know it has 100 and 50 watt switches but if you put in Twwed or use the Tube rectifier and or in Tweed with 6L6's or say useing 6V6's like the manual says or sticking in EL34's.

Just like to know and more so about the low powered options.

Hello down there.

Anybody want to take a stab at this question. Pleasae!

Hi Nomad, I got my 2x12 Lonestar 3 days ago, still playing and testing it, I'm very happy so far, but only been played the 50W settings with the tube rectifier.

It will be very interesting to hear if there is some power difference with 6V6. As for the EL34, I'm sure it will be the same wattage, 50 and 100.

I was also thinking that in some cases, some guys recommend use of the 12AT7, but that in this case will provide more headroom, and if what you want is make the amp to break earlier, then 12AX7 will be the indicated, but with a higher output, and have the 6v6's for early break. I've read that the guys at Eurotubes (JJ tubes) can recommend soemthing depending on what you want to acconplish and what your amp is.

As for me I'll wait some time before trying something new, but definetily I will try the EL34 mod. too.

Let's wait a littl ebit more, and keep this alive, eventually the guys will come around.

8)

Cool Thanx. Some other things I'm curious about is if in the 50 watt mode with the tube rec its 50 watts then its gotta be more with the solid state rec.

And also what does the Tweed Mode do power wise to all the different wattage and tube combinations.

Inquiring minds want to know.

So you think with two 6V6's its 24 and with four its 48?

What would the tube or solid stae rec and tweed switch do to those?

The combinations are almost mind boggling.

Oh lets see the Manual says not to run 6V6's except only in the Tweed Mode.

greggmetal said:
Hi Nomad, I got my 2x12 Lonestar 3 days ago, still playing and testing it, I'm very happy so far, but only been played the 50W settings with the tube rectifier.

It will be very interesting to hear if there is some power difference with 6V6. As for the EL34, I'm sure it will be the same wattage, 50 and 100.

I was also thinking that in some cases, some guys recommend use of the 12AT7, but that in this case will provide more headroom, and if what you want is make the amp to break earlier, then 12AX7 will be the indicated, but with a higher output, and have the 6v6's for early break. I've read that the guys at Eurotubes (JJ tubes) can recommend soemthing depending on what you want to acconplish and what your amp is.

As for me I'll wait some time before trying something new, but definetily I will try the EL34 mod. too.

Let's wait a littl ebit more, and keep this alive, eventually the guys will come around.

8)
You might try 12au7 instead of 12at7. According to A. Pittman (Groove Tubes) the at is not a very good audio tube, and gets used as reverb drivers and phase inverters. I think the 12au7 has about the same output as the 12at7.

I have the Lonestar head, and so far I have tried pretty much everything out. I put EL34's in about a week ago and it sounds good. Let me ask you guys out there this. Is it me, or does this amp sound worse as you turn it up.? I have a rehersal space and I am afforded the luxury of really cranking it, and it seems like it starts to get a little harsh sounding when you put the master past the half way point? I don't really know what it is, but it kind of sucks if its the amp. Maybe its just one of those amps thats not meant to be cranked? Any body else dealt with this? :shock:

Mine sounds great cranked and sounds great at lower volumes. What kind of cabinet are you using with it?

That is one of the things I really like about this amp is how it sounds at high volumes and low volumes.

I had a Mark I reissue that sounded great at cranked but with 100 watts was just trying to vibratew and rattle apart with all that power in that little box. When I swithced it to half power or into Tweed mode it lsot alot of high end clarity and just didnt sound good. I could run it through a cab in full power and it sounded awsome but in that little box justy not good.

I have noticed the Tweed switch on the Lone Star darkens the sound some (so I dont use it).

Nomad said:
Mine sounds great cranked and sounds great at lower volumes. What kind of cabinet are you using with it?

That is one of the things I really like about this amp is how it sounds at high volumes and low volumes.

I had a Mark I reissue that sounded great at cranked but with 100 watts was just trying to vibratew and rattle apart with all that power in that little box. When I swithced it to half power or into Tweed mode it lsot alot of high end clarity and just didnt sound good. I could run it through a cab in full power and it sounded awsome but in that little box justy not good.

I have noticed the Tweed switch on the Lone Star darkens the sound some (so I dont use it).

I have one of the Lonestar cabs, so I don't think thats it? :( maybe its my guitars. The thing that I love about the amp is its pure tone that comes threw. It sounds amazing on the clean channel, and has a great overdrive channel as well. The thing that I think it lacks for some reason is when you try and solo. It of course has a great blues rock sound like the Cream which I love, but if you ever try and play some of the faster things like Eric Johnson it lacks sustain. I went out and bought the Fulldrive 2 pedal, and I thought that would do the trick, but it didnt. Do you think a really good delay pedal would help with sustain? I am running the Lonestar with an old Echoplex, and those are about as good as it gets, but maybe something else would work better? If you know of anything I would appreciate your help.

Well as with most amps I have played that are Class AB they dont sustain well unless overdriven heavily. Class A amp tend to sustain better. Now I'm shure there are some amps out there that sustain better than others though.

What I do to get the sustain I need is I set the #2 Channel on the amps drive control and gain control pretty high not full up but pretty high. Then I turn my guitar volume down to get cruchy rythems and turn it up and sometimes even step on the Solo button for Solos. With that setting I get sustain for days out of either my Strat or Tele.

I also set the Thick switch on Thicker.

Nomad said:
Well as with most amps I have played that are Class AB they dont sustain well unless overdriven heavily. Class A amp tend to sustain better. Now I'm shure there are some amps out there that sustain better than others though.

What I do to get the sustain I need is I set the #2 Channel on the amps drive control and gain control pretty high not full up but pretty high. Then I turn my guitar volume down to get cruchy rythems and turn it up and sometimes even step on the Solo button for Solos. With that setting I get sustain for days out of either my Strat or Tele.

I also set the Thick switch on Thicker.

Cool, I will try that. So I can have a starting point what do you set the gain and drive at?

Sorry I took so long.

Gain on clean channel is about 11:00

Drive on about 4:00 Gain on about 3:30 on dirty channel.

These are cranked but like I said I turn the guitar volume down for cruch and on up for really dirty rythem then I step on the Solo for screaming leads.

Hey Nomad, I want to ask you a couple of questions:
- have you tried the Lonestar with EL34's instead of the regular 6L6's?, will it make it sound more Marshall?

I have found really cool sounds with the 6L6's, but still thinking how would it sound with EL34's.

- My other amp it's a fender 65 twin reverb ri, it is a very nice clean amp, and don't want to get rid of it, and haven't found that sound in the lonestar, have you found it? Let us know.

8)

greggmetal said:
Hey Nomad, I want to ask you a couple of questions:
- have you tried the Lonestar with EL34's instead of the regular 6L6's?, will it make it sound more Marshall?

I have found really cool sounds with the 6L6's, but still thinking how would it sound with EL34's.

- My other amp it's a fender 65 twin reverb ri, it is a very nice clean amp, and don't want to get rid of it, and haven't found that sound in the lonestar, have you found it? Let us know.

8)
I have tried the Lonestar with EL34's and it sounds good. It doesnt drastically change the sound or anything. There isnt quite as much headroom, and it compresses a little more. I have the 34's in her now, but to be honest with you, I will probably go back to the 6L6's.

I havent tried EL34's yet.

A few things I've noticed. When setting the dirty channel for High Gain (where I like it for solos) its noisy as hell. I may try tamming it down and using a pedal for higher gain. I'm gonna try some other tubes.

Oddly enuff my Nomad came with EL34's in it and I prefer it with 6L6's in it but I'm gonna try EL34's in the Lonestar and may try some 6V6's too.

I'm starting to see it dosent do the sustain forever thing as well as my Nomad. I think different Tubes may help.

I've got some NOS Mullard ECC83's on the way which I'm gonna sink into it and see what that does and I've got some Svetlanna EL34's I'm gonna try today and let you know what I find out.

Oh yeah as far as the clean sound I have no problems with the Lonestars clean sounds. It could be slightly better but its not the amp. About the only way your gonna get that Perfect Fender Blackface sound is stick in a Jensen C12N Speaker but that has repercussions. Your dirty sound will suffer tremondously.

Its something you cant get around. There is give and take in the clean dirty issue. I'll bet the Twin dosent come close in the dirty dept.

I just sold an amp that had the most wonderfull clean sound I've ever heard. Carr Rambler 1x12 w Jense C12N but try and play it dirty -- uggggglllyyyy!

Stuck a Weber Blue Dog in it and vwhala better dirty sound but then the wonderfull clean is gone.

Allright now I'm at tone nervana now.

Bear in mind that we all may be looking for different tones so all this is subjective.

I put a set of Svet EL34's in it. Whoaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!! Big difference in several things.

rego was right about headroom and comression and wrong about the amount of difference.

It looses some headroom, compresses more and gives more of the forever sustain at high gain. It also cuts the Bass down some so I have to bring that back to normal levels (I keep the bass way cut down with 6L6's cause there is so much of it). I like the bass this way because to me there is just to much with the 6L6's.

The cleans still sound great to me. I play mostly a 52 reissue Tele.

I got things a little simpler. First I turned the extra drive controll off (just to friggin noisy). Now I'm setting the amp for a good bright crunch and stepping on a Boss Blues Driver for the Classic Boogie sustain for days solos. Still a little noisy but not on when not soloing.

I'm also trying to simplify in other areas. I turned the Hard bypass on the FX loop and arent using the two extra Master Volumes. With the Boss I have enuff sounds and dont need it anyway. That way I'm doing away with 3 halves of 12AX7's in the cirquit.

Anyway I'm loving these settings right now and thought you guys might want to know.

Also just as a foot note I'm a die hard 6L6 fan and would never have though I would like EL34's in this thing but its my fave now.

I had taken out the EL34's in my Nomad and prfered the 6L6's in it but I think it gives the little Narrow Nomad a little more Balls.

Just ordered some NOS Mullards ECC83's and will report back when I stick em in it.

Latest posts

Back