Lone Star vs. Lone Star special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gplex

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have been thinking of buying a small combo. The lone star seems to fit the bill. It seems versitile from what I read at Mesa.com. I enjoy my Mark V head/4-12, but I am looking for something I can easily carry for a quick jam session. There are no Lone Star's around to try.

What are the main differences in tone between the lone star and the special?

I recently traded a DR.Z MAZ18, I miss having a portable amp. I think the Special would be geared more twords that. That amp needed help to get into high gain though, it was kind of limited in flexibility. But it did sound great.

If I could cover SRV stuff, AC/DC, and Early VH, that would be all I am looking for, if either could get into Metallica territory,as far as enough gain, I might favor that one. To keep up with a drummer in an informal jam is all it needs to have the balls for.

Thanks in advance for any info.

The Specials are "Class A", so the tone will be thicker and less "articulate" than the Classics. Also, Specials run EL84 tubes which wil provide a more Vox-like vibe, with a mid-range focus. The Classics run 6L6s for that big, Fenderish sound (sharper highs; bigger bottom that EL84s). Classics also allow you to run EL34s, the "big brother" to the EL84.

Due to its Class A architecture and 30 watt max output, the Specials have considerably less clean headroom that the Classics.

Both Lonestars are fairly heavy combos, so I don't know if it will meet your "...easily carry for a quick jam session" criteria. Special 1x12 combos are 59 lbs, while Classic 1x12s are 72 lbs. Have you considered coupling your Mark V head with a 1x12 cabinet? This will allow for easier transportation than the 4x12.

Thanks for the info. You make a valid point with the weight, vs. a 1-12 cab for my MarkV. Those are some heavy suckers I guess!

I had a lot of questions about the difference between the two and had a pretty hefty thread going here: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=38023

I ended up going with the Classic 2x12 Combo and I've been loving every minute of it. I'll just say the lonestar is worth it's weight in tone

gplex said:
Hey guys. I have been thinking of buying a small combo. The lone star seems to fit the bill. It seems versitile from what I read at Mesa.com. I enjoy my Mark V head/4-12, but I am looking for something I can easily carry for a quick jam session. There are no Lone Star's around to try.

What are the main differences in tone between the lone star and the special?

I recently traded a DR.Z MAZ18, I miss having a portable amp. I think the Special would be geared more twords that. That amp needed help to get into high gain though, it was kind of limited in flexibility. But it did sound great.

If I could cover SRV stuff, AC/DC, and Early VH, that would be all I am looking for, if either could get into Metallica territory,as far as enough gain, I might favor that one. To keep up with a drummer in an informal jam is all it needs to have the balls for.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Both combos are VERY heavy! Get the head version with an extension cab and that will save your arms from falling off!

You will need some pedals to help get the amp into the VH area!

They are great amps! Both of them! The LSS has a more vintage sound to it. It breaks up at higher volumes and you cannot get a clean tone out of it if you are in a situation that requires volume.

Hey guys thanks for all the info. A local Mesa dealer said he has a LoneStar coming, the 6L6 model and will call me when it's in. Ill give it a try.

As far as needing distortion pedals for early VH, your talking tube screamers and the sort, right. I'm OK with that. If I can turn it up loud enough I probally wont need one, but I imagine it has some serious volume. I am mostly looking for this amp to cover blues to Bad Company stuff, any thing else I can get out of it will be considered bonus.

Think Ill skip the el84 idea. I have had Voxes, a Bad Cat, and a DR.Z with those tubes, they sound good for what they do. Just not really for me, with the gain up enough to get some sustain, chords fall apart a little to much for me.

75 pounds of tone can't be all bad :wink:

Back