Lone Star versus Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gimme789

Reaction score
I am considering both the Lonestar and Express 5:50 amps. My band plays blues/jam music, with the occasional need for some high gain, but I am primarily looking for a great clean sound, a great blues lead tone, and also rock lead tones ala ZZ top (in that order), and would really like to experience some nice touch responsive feedback from the amp while soloing.

I looked at the Mesa site - I could not find where they distinguish between Lonestar Classsic vs Lonestar Special. Are both these amps still being built, or is it just the "Lonestar" now ?

I am also interested in the Express 5:50. Not sure if 1x12 or 2x12 yet.

Can anyone please provide info and perhaps a recommendation for either of these amps ?

We cover bands like the Allmans, Grateful Dead, Phish, Keb Mo, Little Feat, etc .... And I usually play a humbucker equipped guitar, but may like to break out some single coils in the future.

It's tough because my nearest dealer is over 2 hours away.
Appreciate any and all info and advice. Thanks.

gimme789 said:
I am considering both the Lonestar and Express 5:50 amps. My band plays blues/jam music, with the occasional need for some high gain, but I am primarily looking for a great clean sound, a great blues lead tone, and also rock lead tones ala ZZ top (in that order), and would really like to experience some nice touch responsive feedback from the amp while soloing.

I looked at the Mesa site - I could not find where they distinguish between Lonestar Classsic vs Lonestar Special. Are both these amps still being built, or is it just the "Lonestar" now ?

I am also interested in the Express 5:50. Not sure if 1x12 or 2x12 yet.

Can anyone please provide info and perhaps a recommendation for either of these amps ?

We cover bands like the Allmans, Grateful Dead, Phish, Keb Mo, Little Feat, etc .... And I usually play a humbucker equipped guitar, but may like to break out some single coils in the future.

It's tough because my nearest dealer is over 2 hours away.
Appreciate any and all info and advice. Thanks.

I tried both of the amps out that you mention here, and in fact I listen to the same miusic. The LSS is a much fuller sounding amp than the 5:50. It's in the architecture and the size of the cab. I went with the LSS. No regrets. Great amp, ooddles of tone, like four amps in one. Be patient with channel 2, read the manual, and look at the factory recommended settings, and tweak to your personal preference. experiment. You can get a great Marshally, Voxy kind of sound out of ch. 2. And, it looks nice!

Latest posts

Back