Lone Star Special

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SonicShredder

Reaction score
I have a few questions about the Lone Star Special. First of all, I'm hoping to achieve a good typical Telecaster tone that would be found in many country music songs. A good example of the sound I'm looking for is the tone Brad Paisley acheives. Now, would the Special or the Classic be more in line with what kind of tone I'm looking for? I'm using an Ernie Ball/Music Man Albert Lee guitar. Another thing, I've noticed that the LSC uses the same tubes as the DR, do they really sound that much different? And my final question...I'm looking to eventually build a giant rig, somewhat like the one John Petrucci used during the TOT tour. I've heard that Class A amps get considerably hotter than AB, especially when they're idle. Would that head be problematic sitting idle for 30 minutes or so at a time in that type of situation???

I had the LSS and the Tele was amazing with it, I don't think you'll have a problem getting a Paisley-ish tone.

The LSS has a fan to keep it cool. There's a switch to turn it off, in case you're recording.

Hope that helps. I just sold my LSS because I needed a rectifier ead, but that was a way cool amp.

SonicShredder said:
I have a few questions about the Lone Star Special. First of all, I'm hoping to achieve a good typical Telecaster tone that would be found in many country music songs. A good example of the sound I'm looking for is the tone Brad Paisley acheives. Now, would the Special or the Classic be more in line with what kind of tone I'm looking for?

The Special would get you closer, but the Classic is quite close too.
I know the tone you are looking for, I'm thinking of getting a Stangray
myself, Brad's tone rules

But I actually get that tone by putting a Celestion Blue in my LSS
Sound very Voxey, and hit's that tone

The Classic with 10watt mode, and the low voltage tweed
setting can get you close too

I actually have the Special, and Class, and am quite fond of both

SonicShredder said:
Another thing, I've noticed that the LSC uses the same tubes as the DR, do they really sound that much different?

Yes, different animal
Lots of amps use the 6L6
different circuits, different gain

SonicShredder said:
And my final question...I'm looking to eventually build a giant rig, somewhat like the one John Petrucci used during the TOT tour. I've heard that Class A amps get considerably hotter than AB, especially when they're idle. Would that head be problematic sitting idle for 30 minutes or so at a time in that type of situation???

not sure about problematic, but they draw more current
if your at a gig, it aint your juice
keep it in standby

As I am sure you know, Brad plays a Bill Crook Tele and Dr Z amps, so Fender and Mesa will be close, but not his equipment. Having said that, I found sounds with the LSS I had never heard from my Tele before. The amp is near perfect for that style of play. The new LSC at the 10 watt setting is more flexible than before, but the EL-84's are a different sound that many of us like.

The tone controls on most Mesa's are very large in that small changes can have a big tonal effect so go in small steps and experiment until you get your sound (and Brad's too) dialed in. It's in there!

Latest posts

Back