Lone Star Special w/ JHS Haunting Mids?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie Boo

Reaction score
I love my LSS for 90% of the music I play, but as most of you know - its a very mid-heavy amp and when using a humbucker equipped guitar, it's **** near impossible dial out/reduce the mids on Channel 2 for when you want that "slightly scooped" hard rock tone. My first instinct is to throw a Mesa 5 band EQ in the loop so I can shape the tone accordingly, but unless I run 4CM, I can't turn it off quickly - and even if I wanted to run 4CM, the Mesa is a big pedal I really can't fit on my board. Therefore - while researching a few pedalboard friendly EQ pedals to throw in front of the amp, I came across the JHS Haunting Mids pedal which is apparently designed to specifically simply increase or reduce/suck mids. Does anyone have any experience with this pedal? It looks stupidly easy to use with 3 simple knobs and a toggle - and I don't need/want to shape anything OTHER than the mids - so this might be the ticket. Just curious if anyone has given one a spin. Thanks!

I can't comment on the JHS pedal but a regular Boss-sized or MXR-sized 7/6 band EQ pedal will do the job you want without taking up the real estate of the Mesa EQ. It's worth running the extra cables to the loop to do this if you want that extra tone shaping option. Something I do is set up my regular rhythm tone with some slightly scooped mids and some volume attenutation and then just turn the pedal off for a noticable mid boost when I want to solo. It's kind of like getting another channel.

Latest posts

Back