Lone Star Classic vs. Mark IV

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PRSKILLER

Reaction score
I currently play a Mark IV Short Head with a Recto 4x12 cab. Lately I've been chasing the classic tones, Led Zep, Buffalo Springfield, and not so classic like Red Hot Chili Peppers. Hearing tones of the Lone Star on youtube has really turned me on. So question is.........Is the Mark IV worth trading for a Lone Star Classic?

This is really a question of where you are at musically...I traded my Mark IV head for a Lonestar Special...reasons...compact and easy to carry around for gigs and practice...unbelievable clean channel, that really gets that true slightly broken up sound...a lead channel that sings...believe it, I get more sounds out of it than the Mark IV. It really depends on what you want to play...if you need to sound like John Petrucci, then stick with the Mark IV...however, if you need an amp that is versatile for just about any gigging situation, minus Metal, than go with a Lonestar. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. Check out some of my tones at www.myspace.com/urbanburnreggae. The track titled Rightousness is particulary worthwhile, as there are some great examples of the tones from this amp. Also, you mentioned Led Zeppelin...for a warm-up before shows, the sound man puts on When the Levee Breaks for me, and I jam to it...I NAIL that sound

This is really a question of where you are at musically...I traded my Mark IV head for a Lonestar Special...reasons...compact and easy to carry around for gigs and practice...unbelievable clean channel, that really gets that true slightly broken up sound...a lead channel that sings...believe it, I get more sounds out of it than the Mark IV. It really depends on what you want to play...if you need to sound like John Petrucci, then stick with the Mark IV...however, if you need an amp that is versatile for just about any gigging situation, minus Metal, than go with a Lonestar. I can't tell you how happy I am with it. Check out some of my tones at www.myspace.com/urbanburnreggae. The track titled Rightousness is particulary worthwhile, as there are some great examples of the tones from this amp. Also, you mentioned Led Zeppelin...for a warm-up before shows, the sound man puts on When the Levee Breaks for me, and I jam to it...I NAIL that sound

AMP10 said:

I checked out your myspace while google-ling Lone Star. Nice tones indeed. My style has changed. I've noticed I'm becoming less metal than before. Must be the age thing, lol. The Mark IV covers a lot of ground but I really need to downsize and the Lone Star Classic is looking like the one. I will try it out this Wednesday.

I would.

The lonestar cleans are far superior to the M4. I had one and its a grteaq amp but has that classci mid thing mesa is known for. The LSC doesnt. It also breaths like you wouldnt believe. The amp is a platform to get any sound you want with pedals but have the best reverb with.

I have both a Mark IV widebody and a LSC 2x12 in combo form (as well as a Stiletto Ace). Comparing the Mark with the LSC, if I had to choose just one, it would be the Mark. Overall, it is way more versatile, especially in higher gain territory where the LSC just doesn't go. That being said, I LOVE my LSC, and I love it even better in my rig where I A/B/Y it with my Stiletto Ace combo - killer amp.

Hurricane023small.jpg

jjb said:
I have both a Mark IV widebody and a LSC 2x12 in combo form (as well as a Stiletto Ace). Comparing the Mark with the LSC, if I had to choose just one, it would be the Mark. Overall, it is way more versatile, especially in higher gain territory where the LSC just doesn't go. That being said, I LOVE my LSC, and I love it even better in my rig where I A/B/Y it with my Stiletto Ace combo - killer amp.

Hurricane023small.jpg

I understand the LS won't even touch the Mark IV in the metal territory so if I ever feel the need to bleed I will slam a pedal in front of the LSC to piss off my neighbors :lol:

george998 said:
I WOULDN'T TRADE MY MARK IV EITHER

Count me in too...and I have an LSS, and a LSC (albeit in a RK II), and I will not trade my Mark IV for any of the Lonestars. No way those are more versatile. And for compact, you can't get any more contact than the standard Mark IV 1x12 Combo.

Got to try out a Lone Star Classic 2x12 at my local dealer. I was impressed and had them hold it. For my needs it will suit me just fine. The gain is just right, think 80s metal tone. The size is even better. Now I need to dump my Recto 4x12 cab.

Latest posts

Back