Lighter speaker in a MkIV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiktok

Reaction score
I love my MkIV Combo, except it's super heavy and mega-loud. Louder than I'll ever use. I always keep it on ClassA, Triode and switch between Tweed and Full power depending on the venue. As I understand it, it's only putting out 30W max in that mode. I'm wondering about swapping out the speaker for something lighter and with lower power capacity (my MV never goes above 4.5). Has anyone tried this? What sort of power-handling do I need to look for in that mode?

I recommend taking that combo and putting it into a head shell and get a separate cabinet, that’s what I did. Even with a lighter speaker it’s not going to make that big a difference. If you compare the chassis the combo cabinet and the speaker have all three in front of you depending on what speaker you currently have the lightest in weight will probably be the speaker by far. And of course you still have to replace it with something.

I'm looking reduce overall weight while retaining the easy to handle combo package. How much does the Celestion in a MkIV weigh?

Am I correct in thinking you have the EVM 12L speaker? I shaved 10 lbs. by replacing the EV with a Celestion G12-T100. Still run the EV in a Thiele cab beneath the combo.
(I believe it's in the forum bylaws that you have to do this).:D
You could also put the Mark IV footswitch in your cable bag. That's another 5 lbs.

tiktok said:
I'm looking reduce overall weight while retaining the easy to handle combo package. How much does the Celestion in a MkIV weigh?
The C90 is about 10 lbs. Maybe 10.4 lbs.
An EVM 12L is 19 lbs.

MrMarkIII said:
tiktok said:
The C90 is about 10 lbs. Maybe 10.4 lbs.
An EVM 12L is 19 lbs.

I believe I have the C90, I'll check tonight. I've seen Weber 50W speakers that weigh 5lbs. I'm not sure five pounds is worth it, but fourteen pounds would be if I have the EV.

If you're set on keeping it in combo form, you could go with something with a neodymium magnet, which weigh very little. Check out the Century by Celestion; also I believe Eminence and Weber have some offerings as well.

As a side note: I started out with the MkIV combo w/ EV, found an empty Thiele cab, put the EV into it, got a C90 for the combo which I hardly used, took it out and used the combo as a psuedo head for awhile and finally took the advice I got a couple years ago and got a head shell for it.

I just got done with the swap and not only is the head lighter, but way more manuverable. I definitely recommend getting the headshell or a rack.

you will benefit from an inefficient speaker (aka not an EV 12L which is rated at 103+ db), you'll want something < 98 db if possible.

The best and lightest speaker for the MK IV combo is the Celestion G12 Century Neo (but its only like 80 watts), but it is very efficient (~102 db), so it will be loud. This speaker sounds very much like an EV at a fraction of the weight.

+1 on the Celestion neo

However, you could go with the vintage neo and reduce the efficiency a lot. It's modeled after the Vintage 30 from what I understand. The only downside to this speaker in a combo is the wattage. It's only 60 watts. You'll need to be careful on simul-class.

FWIW, I have 2 in a 2x12 traditional cab with casters, and the cab weighs less than the medium head!

Thanks for the suggestions. I never use SimulClass, so looks like I have some options.

Going with a neodymium speaker is probably your best bet, but I doubt it will make much difference for you. A Mark IV short head alone weighs about 40 to 50 lbs, so most of the weight you're lugging arround is the amp chasis and not the speaker. You probably won't really even notice a difference if you combo ends up only 5 or so pounds lighter.

It's the power and output transformers that weigh so **** much. The price you pay, unfortunately, for great tube tone.

My MKIVa weighed in at nearly 90 lbs when it was a compact combo with an EVM12L. I have since split the two with a head cab and now drive two thiele cabs.

Latest posts

Back