Left the recto... what next?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jake

I think that once you get everything sorted out your VH4 won't be anymore to maintain than a Mesa, except for having to get the bias adjusted whe replacing power tubes. I wouldn't bother replacing the preamp tubes right away because they don't wear as quickly as the power tubes.

Martin

I parted with my RKII because the rectifiers are brighter. But rectos and the RK and Roadster are still rectos. Have you tried a Stiletto? Or maybe a new TA?

jakeleigh said:
I ended up getting a really good deal on a Diezel VH4 with 6L6's. Sounds a lot better than the recto at low volumes (which neither of these amps were made for I know, but it's always a bonus). There is a lot more noise at higher volumes than the Mesa, but picking up a NS-2 later this week. Haven't felt the need to boost it yet, but will probably take my SD-1 down to rehearsal later this week just to try it out. I have found it far more easy to play than the rectifier.

I still really enjoy the recto sound and will probably pick one up in some form or other as a backup/alternative. Quite interested in trying out a single as I've only ever played duals and triples.

I'm probably late to the party with this information but I saw a video with an in depth review of Alter Bridge's live tone.

Myles uses a Diezel Herbert with a Mark V for crunch tone. He runs channel 3 on the Mark V the whole time and runs channel 2 for rhythm and channel for lead with the Herbert. For cleans, he runs a lonestar Special. He uses Seymour Duncans in his PRS to give him a different tone from Mark.

Mark uses dual Fender Twins for clean and he runs two Triple Rectos for rhythm and (surprise surprise), Bogner Shivas for lead. These rigs are all really quite complicated but I can completely understand how guitarists would use these tools for touring.

As for the Rectos, I hear you. They feel very stiff, thick, and heavy to play. GREAT rhythm amps for sure, but the lead tones can be a bit squirrely. With my 2 Channel, I discovered that the Orange Channel (1) has a very elastic and easy to play feel, especially in vintage mode. Definitely the lead channel with a 'clean' tone tacked on to that. The Red Channel (2) is brittle, thick, stiff and thin. Perfect for detailed rhythm playing. If I was ever to gig the Recto now, I'd use my Electra Dyne for the clean channel!

Latest posts

Back